Thoughts on fish and ski boat.

mclark1989

Cadet
hey I have recently considered getting a fish and ski I want one mid to late 2000's wanting to spend around 10k. I have found an 2003 Nitro 288FS with 150 Mercury outboard. Pictures of it attach thoughts on it? Any recommendations on one I may should look for? Thanks and let's keep it positive please.

Attachments

• photo242549.jpeg
    photo242549.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242550.jpg
    photo242550.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242551.jpeg
    photo242551.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242552.jpeg
    photo242552.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242553.jpg
    photo242553.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242554.jpg
    photo242554.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I have no ideas on prices for that one but you can check nadaguides.com. If you are new to boats I would recommend getting a pre-sale inspection. But I think it is a sharp boat!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Always amazes me why people don't pay attention to the little things when selling a boat. 10 minutes with a bucket of soapwater and a rag on the inside of that boat, and it would look MUCH better!

Anyway, looks like a decent boat but seems like it is on the high end of the price, especially for a 2 stroke on the back. Vinyl on the front seats is pretty bad, broken latch on the ski locker. Also, that looks like the registration expired in '12 or '13? Hard to tell from the pic, but if that is true, why? When was the last time it was in the water?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I agree with Smokingcrater - there's a couple of things about that boat which would suggest to look it over real careful. It may just be that it got slobbed up, but it may also be that it was neglected some. There's some great stuff HERE for you to pay attention to while looking at it. Price feels a little high based on my area, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm typically not a big fan of that kind of hull, but I've run a couple of Nitros in the past and they are really nice riding boats. I don't think you have a ton of room in 'em, but they definitely scoot.

mclark1989

Cadet
Yeah I asked about the dirtiness and he said the pictures were taken after riding all day so amazes me why he would t clean it up either. NADA values it at 10200 high end. He is asking $9500 for it And the registration isnt expired just not updated pictures. He selling due to buying a ranger and doesn't need both boats.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Looks like a real nice boat, but don't buy it until after a good sea trial on the river....starting, idle, mid range, wide open speed and RPM's.....otherwise it's just the proverbial "pig in a poke"....A fish and ski is a good dual purpose boat....but remember that all boats represent some type of compromise....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah I asked about the dirtiness and he said the pictures were taken after riding all day so amazes me why he would t clean it up either.if he was riding it all day,with expired reg, where did the rest of the leaves go? in the bilge I'd guess.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Back in the early 90s I was checking into Nitro bass boats including fish n ski models. I was not impressed with the build quality.

I recall even now about nearly cutting my hand when checking the fiberglass work under the gunnels. The fiberglass along the edges under the gunnels was left raw and unfinished. That left edges with "spikes" of cured fiberglass underneath. I found the same thing in the fuel and battery tank areas.

Maybe the quality has improved over the years, but I'd say to check those areas carefully. It could be an indication of overall quality.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Yeah I asked about the dirtiness and he said the pictures were taken after riding all day so amazes me why he would t clean it up either. NADA values it at 10200 high end. He is asking $9500 for it And the registration isnt expired just not updated pictures. He selling due to buying a ranger and doesn't need both boats.

Have you personally seen the boat yet? Old pictures are a huge red flag for me, it usually means what is shown in those pics is vastly different (better) than the current condition of the boat. Also, there was a for-sale sign on in the pics, so either they are from when he bought the boat, or he tried to sell it a couple years ago.

Last edited:

mclark1989

Cadet
I found the boat on Facebook and it was listed last year for $15,000.

I'm pretty new to boating what are some things I should look for when going to look at it? What should the RPM's be at full? He says everything works like bilge pump and all accessories also has two Lawrence fish finders.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I found the boat on Facebook and it was listed last year for $15,000.

I'm pretty new to boating what are some things I should look for when going to look at it? What should the RPM's be at full? He says everything works like bilge pump and all accessories also has two Lawrence fish finders.

So last year he wanted $15,000 and now he wants $9500. That in itself could be a huge red flag. It's spring so a boat should sell pretty quick if it's nice looking and runs halfway decent. A $5500 dollar drop from last year to the begining of this seasons could translate to bad motor, rotten stringers and or transom, soft deck ( which means it's rotten along with evrything under it most likely ).

Or it could also translate to " I have a huge new boat payment and the wife wants this one gone quick so I'm letting it go cheap!"

Either way condition condition condition. It's all about checking every nook and cranny on her. Look for obvious signs of standing water in the bilge and ski locker, as well as all storage compartments. As has been mentioned before the captains chairs vynl is pretty weathered which indicates time spent out doors uncovered. That could mean water below deck which can saturate flotation foam and rot out the stringers and transom.

Take a good flashlight with you as well as an inspection mirror to look in all the dark places, also take a screw driver with you. If the owner doesn't object I would poke around on the stringers below deck where I could reach them to check for soft spots as well as the inside area of the transom. Again if the owner will let you.

My opinoin is that if someone doesn't invest the time to keep their boat covered and clean they probably skipped on more important maintenance items as well.

Ask about the motor. When was the impeller last changed. When was the outdrive oil changed last. When was the last time the outdrive was pressure tested. Those three things should be done every couple of years I believe. When was the motor last tuned up? Do all the alarms work especially the overheat! Is anything disconnected and if so why? Do they have receipts for any work? Is the prop bent or scared up?

Ask about the trailer. Do all the lights work? Are the bearings new or have they been serviced this season? Receipts for work? Are the tires new? If the trailer has brakes do they work properly? Does the trailer tongue look bent?

I don't know what rpm the motor should be. You may have to get the motor and prop info, like prop pitch and size to determine the correct rpm. Post that question in ghe prop forum for help there.

Most importantly be ready to walk away if anything seems to good to be true or if the seller is real hesitant or doesn't know the answers to these questions.

My advice is when you go look at it don't drive a tow vehicle that way you have the drive home to think about it. That is unless you are travelling more than an hour to look at it. In that case I would be 100% sure before buying it and dragging it home.

I give this advice as someone who bought a rotten boat that is still sitting in my garage awaiting restoration. Got my tin one in the water in the meantime though!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
You stated that you're "considering" a fish & ski boat. Backing up to that statement, is this even the right type of boat for you? Are you mainly planning to fish, cruise/pleasure boat, or ski and tube? Where do you plan to do all of this - on inland lakes, rivers, the ocean? Do you have a family and/or friends that you plan to have in the boat a lot or will it mostly be solo trips?

IMO - fish & ski boats are rarely good for fishing. The full windshield makes it difficult to drag lures, there is not much accommodation for a rail system, rod holders, etc. There are better options if you plan to mostly fish. If you plan to ski or just cruise around, this is probably a decent type of boat.

Boats have different characteristics in lakes vs rivers vs being in the big ocean. This is a good lake boat but I'd look for something else to use more exclusively in rivers and especially on the ocean.

The boat seems to have ample space for taking others out on the water. However, larger boats are inherently harder to work with. They require larger tow vehicles, are harder to put into and take out of the water, aren't as easy to push around on dry land, and require more fuel. Having the space is always great, but it's not always worth it if not needed. I can land my 16ft boat on the trailer and have it out of the water in 2-3 minutes, while others with 18-20ft boats might struggle or need an additional person.

Seeing the Georgia registration, and questionable information from the seller, I'd also wonder if the boat has been used in salt water. Even if it was used just once or twice but not properly cleaned and cared for afterward, you could be in line for problems.

My general advice for all new boaters, is to start of small and resist the temptation to get their ideal boat initially. Spend $2k to buy a boat for this season. That way you can accidentally back this one into the garage, hit the dock too hard, run aground, etc....all while learning on a cheaper smaller boat. I like to think of trying to avoid being Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack - completely unaware of what he doesn't know about operating a boat.

mclark1989

Cadet
Well I have had a smaller boat I just sold my 17 foot dynasty it was a deep V-hull and has the 3.0 mercruiser I/O on it and I learn a lot from it I defiantly don't plan to go into the ocean and I do have family so this boat would be used for family out on the lake but also be used as my fishing vessel.