Freezing?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all!
I am a little bit worried because last week I dewinterized a couple of my toys and tomorrow it is supposed to get down to 29 degrees (very unexpected). One boat is in the water, it is a jet drive and I fogged it before I left. Will it be a problem? It should only be below freezing for maybe 10 hours or so. Thanks!
How long of an exposure can it last without causing problems?

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
It'll be fine.. if anything put some tape over any air intake vents (but dont forget to take it off!) - the water will keep the engine compartment warmer then freezing. If it was on a lift or in the air it would be a different story.

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all!
I am a little bit worried because last week I dewinterized a couple of my toys and tomorrow it is supposed to get down to 29 degrees (very unexpected). One boat is in the water, it is a jet drive and I fogged it before I left. Will it be a problem? It should only be below freezing for maybe 10 hours or so. Thanks!
How long of an exposure can it last without causing problems?

With the boat actually sitting in the water there should be no issue. The water is warmer then the air, and there could be some slight freezing inside, this should not be an issue. Now if the boat is on a lift all bets are off.

Last comment: this is your boat and I don't guarantee my opinion

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah well I am 2 hours away and the water is 45 degrees so I think it should be ok. A lot of people elsewhere have said it will be ok.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If your thinking proves to be wrong you'll know whether the 2 hour drive was worth it or not.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
On the Rotax (seadoo) 951cc engine, many people say to fog the engine when it is going to sit for a couple of days because it increases the life of the engine. It has nothing to do with freezing or anything. I think they can freeze because water is used for cooling.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I didn't catch your location but here in MN where the temps can swing a lot in 24 hours and so 29 degrees in the spring knowing that it will get above freezing in a matter of hours isn't a worry. Lots and lots of boats got hit with 29 degrees this week sitting on their lifts and trailers. As for the Sea Doo question, many of the Sea Doos are closed cooling as far as the cooling system goes and just start it for a second and run the water out as you would in the fall as far as the pump water is concerned. For raw water cooling such as my Waverrunner, I just start it for a second and give it some gas and the water leaves the system.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The boat is locate on Sebago Lake in Maine. It is supposed to get down to like 29 for 5 hrs and then be 50 the next day.

jkust

Rear Admiral
The boat is locate on Sebago Lake in Maine. It is supposed to get down to like 29 for 5 hrs and then be 50 the next day.

We've all played this game in the fall or spring...when you look at how long it takes to get below 32, how long it would take to freeze while considering it is not staying below 32 for long, 5 hours doesn't make me blink in the spring. In the fall when a clipper can come down from Canada and quickly go from 29 to 19, I would not be this lax. My boat is sitting at the Marina by my lake house on the trailer waiting to get some preventative maintenance done right at this moment up in Northern MN and it got down to 29 on Sunday with a high of around 40. Now if you are really concerned, some people have been known to put a bare light bulb in the engine bay in a pinch to keep it somewhat warm.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I was about to run my I/O on muffs this last weekend, decided to hold out at least one more. I played the game last year and ended up making an emergency 6:00 PM trip to the lake with a pair of lightbulbs in hand...

Also, if you search for 'thermocube', there is a company that makes a nice little thermostat that will turn on the outlet at 35 degrees, instead of having to run the light or heater constantly. Cheap, about $15 for a pair of them, and really useful!

Last edited: