Vinyl Cleaner - Again

sporter

Cadet
Found an old post that recommended using a 50/50 mixture of bleach and simple green. Has anyone tried this on colored vinyl?

RinkerFamily

Cadet
Re: Vinyl Cleaner - Again

Slicksboy, we stored our vinyl cushions in the basement over winter and there was some mold growing on them. I could not clean with soap and water but I used the Mr. Clean Erasers and they worked wonders. I think there is a mild abrassive or rubing compound built into the sponge...I thought it might hurt the vinyl but it didn't appear to and they now look like new! Might give it a try?

bioman

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Slicks...<br />"Vinyl Boat Cleaner" available at West Marine or most raft stores. Costs about $15 for 16 oz, but the stuff is amazing. I'm plenty cheap but this stuff really worked well. <br /><br />Bleach and simple green... hm.. pine oil and a chlorine source that breaks down the oil.. sounds like you're defeating both products with that mixture..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have used bleach and water mixed but on a cover that could be affected by the bleach I use 409 or simple green. The 409 seems to have a slightly better effect.

salty87

Commander

bleach will make the stitching brittle, avoid armor all too<br /><br />i'll second Mr. Clean Erasers, i think they're made of a slightly abrasive material that's an excellent scrubber. they'll disintegrate in your hand after a while. you just dunk em in fresh water or under the hose and wipe. does real good with mildew. good enough that the sun will clean up what little they leave behind.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The best I have ever used is soft scrub with bleach.Not that I added bleach,it came with it.Make sure you wet the threads with water first and try to avoid them as much as possible whan scrubbing and rinse the threads thoroughly when done and you will be fine.I used a green scrub pad and it came out great.I topped the seats off with formula 303 spray.Charlie