New Boat ....Finally

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Finally freed up some money (one of my kids is graduating from college), so I am looking for a new boat. I am looking for something to keep in a slip at the harbor and use for fishing and our mini condo on the water. We plan to use it every weekend, but will only be spending a few nights a month. I will be starting small (under 30') ' so I can get the cheaper 29.5' slip ($400 per month). What do you all think of this 1999 Bayliner 2858? Brand new motor.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5517182541.html

oldjeep

Admiral
Make sure it'll fit in a 29 Ft slip, or at least make sure how the marina determines boat size. A 28ft with a pulpit and i/o is going to measure longer than that.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Make sure it'll fit in a 29 Ft slip, or at least make sure how the marina determines boat size. A 28ft with a pulpit and i/o is going to measure longer than that.

​Thanks. Just called the dealer to check on that and they said they will send someone to remove the swim platform the day before it is measured by the harbor so I will get under 29.5'. Does that sound feasible. I guess I will check with the harbor. I would hate to be barely over and have to pay $120 more a month for the bigger slip.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Will you keep the swim platform off? I wouldn't but thats me. Make sure the holes are sealed up well. Otherwise nice boat.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Will you keep the swim platform off? I wouldn't but thats me. Make sure the holes are sealed up well. Otherwise nice boat.

​The dealer says that he would remove it and then reinstall after the harbor measures the boat. I am not sure the harbor would notice (or care), but I think I will do some more research 1st. Has anyone heard of this being done?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If you stick out of your slip, you stick out of your slip. Not sure how strict they are, but the one we stayed at was. Sounds like someone wants to sell you a boat.. talk to the folks at your proposed marina.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Even if you remove the platform the drive is sticking out about the same distance.

pckeen

Commander
Good call. The minimal cost of that survey will be well worth it - you'll either pay for peace of mind, or pay to avoid a bad deal. If this is the boat you want, $120 a month for a bigger slip won't be the biggest expense you'll have on the boat.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Good call. The minimal cost of that survey will be well worth it - you'll either pay for peace of mind, or pay to avoid a bad deal. If this is the boat you want, $120 a month for a bigger slip won't be the biggest expense you'll have on the boat.

I am not really against paying $120 more for a bigger slip, but if I going to get the bigger slip, I might as well get a bigger boat. I really like the 32 and 34 foot version of this same boat.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am not really against paying $120 more for a bigger slip, but if I going to get the bigger slip, I might as well get a bigger boat. I really like the 32 and 34 foot version of this same boat.
If you have enough to go for the bigger one get it since likely you will always wish you just paid more and got the bigger one.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Well, the Bayliner 2858 mentioned above is not the one for me. The seller (a dealer) sent me some videos and I noticed what looked like 5200 around the transom assembly. I called the seller and he said that when his mechanic reinstalled the motor it leaked a little, so they used a little sealer to stop the leak. What a crock! A dealer did this! I said that if the transom was ok, the rubber seal will be all you need 100% of the time and that he obviously has transom issues and should not be selling the boat this way.

​Also, he was full of crap about the swim platform idea. The harbor said it definitely does not work that way and I would have to get the bigger slip.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Went and looked at a 2003 Larson 274 Cabrio. It is listed at $29900, but I can probably get it for closer to $25k. It doesn't have the flybridge and salon I was looking for, but it looks and feels almost brand new. 332 hours on Volvo 320 hp engine and brand new canvas.

​Any thoughts?

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Here is a picture and the link. I couldn't get it to work last night. Please let me know what you all think. The Admiral is sold. It has a brand new full camper enclosure.
Larson 274.jpg

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
What is that on the rear deck - some sort of add on livewell?

​Yes, it is a bait tank bolted to the swim platform.

I also found a Maxum we really like, for much cheaper (can probably get it for $15000 -- private seller). It is a 1998 Maxum 2700 SCR and has 7.4 with 350 hours. From the pictures, it looks to be in great shape and also comes with a brand new full camper enclosure.