Water pumps and aerators for livewell not working or working intermittently

rob123p

Cadet
Hi everyone, the water pump for my stern and bow livewell isn't working properly as well as the aerators. How would you guys go about fixing this. I am also opening this thread in case someone else is looking for this type of answer, from what I've read this could happen every so often.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanx

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That would depend on the issue itself, electrical issue is most likely I would check to make sure all connections are perfect and go from there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Pumps don't work without power. If there is power to the pump you need a new pump. If there is no power you need to check +12 volt and ground circuits to the pump.

Water and electronics never mix well.

I would figure out what is common to the pumps. Is there a fuse that is not seated properly. Check common ground connections, as bad/loose ground connections seem to account for the majority of problems. This spring I was set to swap my oft-maligned boat radio until I pulled it out and realized that corrosion had infiltrated the ground pigtail. Check all connections from pump to battery and everything in between.

tomvento

Recruit
Hi Rob,

Nice topic!

Pumps wear out. When your pump runs intermittent, it's because the brushes are failing. Longevity varies considerably between brands. One brand lasted 168 hours! We have torture tested many pumps over the years. Rule has been the best of breed. We've used them in our aeration systems for many years.

Many brands add a different base to their bilge pumps, and call them livewell pumps. Bilge pumps are not designed for continuous use.

MOD EDIT: RULE 6

Tom Vento

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Tom: If you've not taken a moment to do so, please read our FORUM RULES. You've probably got some great information about pumps and aerators that would be valuable input ... but we need to bear in mind that our benefactor is an online store.