Spring Start-up Checklist

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
http://www.discoverboating.com/owning/maintenance/startup.aspx

Spring has sprung and for millions of boaters in the U.S. that means it?s time to take their boats out of winter storage and put them in the water. For many boaters, annual preparation and cleaning projects are necessary rites of spring that help prevent problems that could keep them off the water once the season is underway.
[h=3]Fuel System[/h]
  • Inspect the fuel system for leaks or damage and be sure to pay special attention to fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces.
  • Evidence of a damaged fuel hose includes softness, brittleness or cracking.
  • Replace components when necessary and verify all fittings and clamps are properly secured.
  • Ensure the engine, exhaust and ventilation systems are all functioning properly.
  • Look before you pump. Don?t fill your tank with fuel that contains more than 10% ethanol (E10) as it will damage your engine
[h=3]Belts, Cables & Hoses[/h]
  • Check belts, cables and hoses because they can become brittle and may crack during winter storage.
  • Belts should fit tightly around pulleys to prevent slipping.
  • A worn belt may leave a black residue near the pulley and will fit loosely.
  • Cracks or swells on the outer jacket of throttle, shift and steering control cables may be of internal corrosion and immanent failure

[h=3]Electric System[/h]
  • Inspect all electrical connections for clean, tight, corrosion free connections. Corroded connections can be dangerous
  • Remove corroded terminals and use a wire brush to clean them, along with all cable ends.
  • Charge your battery and have it tested to ensure it can hold a charge.
  • Electrical systems should be regularly inspected by a qualified technician.
[h=3]Fluid Levels[/h]
  • Check all fluid levels including engine oil, power steering, power trim reservoirs and coolant.
  • Be sure to change the engine oil, oil filter and drive lubricants if these tasks were not done prior to winterizing your boat.

[h=3]Propellers & Hulls[/h]
  • Inspect propellers for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion.
  • Damaged propellers can cause unwanted vibration and damage to your drive train.
  • Make sure the propeller is secured properly, and replace bearings when needed.
  • When inspecting the hull, look for blisters, distortions and cracks. Be sure to clean the hull, deck, and topsides using an environmentally safe cleaning solution.
  • Also, make sure the drain plug is securely in place before every launch.
[h=3]Safety Gear[/h]
  • Check your life jackets to ensure they are in good condition and that there are enough on board for all potential passengers.
  • Ensure that each individual has the correct size life jacket for their body weight.
  • Be sure all onboard fire extinguishers are the correct class for your vessel, and are fully charged and stowed in the proper place.
  • For any enclosed or semi-enclosed area, ensure you have at least one properly installed and working carbon monoxide detector
  • Consider an EPIRB for situations of distress to ensure you can be found
  • Take advantage of any safety inspections offered by the US Coast Guard (USCG), USCG Auxiliary or US Power Squadrons.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would love to fill the tank with 0 ethanol fuel, but it is hard to find in my area. Good list.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The lone star is in the driveway and i have a beer, a couple small projects plus this and am making motor noises. My wife just busted me and i thought she was gonna pee her pants laughing.

roffey

Commander
image_239102.jpg
The lone star is in the driveway and i have a beer, a couple small projects plus this and am making motor noises. My wife just busted me and i thought she was gonna pee her pants laughing.

I keep my boat in the garage for the winter. I go out and sit in it and listen to the radio, clean it and just think about the summer boating so I know what you mean. From 19 to 55 years old with out a boat. It took a major reality check to make me rethink my values.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
... and it just fits. My outdrive touches the wall and I have two inches with the tongue folded back

airshot

Rear Admiral
If I may I would like to add something....get your self a set of muffs and make sure your engine is in proper operating condition before you go to the launch ramp! This is the best way to take the time and go thru the checklist that has been given in the previous post. In my area there are so many that come to the ramp to see if it runs! And when there is an issue they spend a lot of time working on their motors, and tying up the ramp for others. This is why we have driveways and water muffs to test our engines at home. Ok...that's my two cents worth.....

roffey

Commander
I could not agree more. I always pre start my boat in the driveway. I think muffs, oil pump, gear oil pump and spare prop should be standard issue.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about the cooler check...Beer, Wine, Vodka, Rum, Charanda, Whiskey, Tequila, Soda Pop, Water, Gatorade, Tea...actually never had a drink on my boat yet, too much traffic on the water here.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I could not agree more. I always pre start my boat in the driveway. I think muffs, oil pump, gear oil pump and spare prop should be standard issue.

If I have not run my boat in the past 2-3 weeks I always test run in the drive before going to the ramp. I guess it is just to embarrassing to have my boat not run right when I get there. Just one time many years back did I have an issue....it was a holiday weekend and the ramps were really busy and yes I take great pride in getting my boat in and out quickly. I had launched my boat and the engine would not start...hmmm just ran fine at home, so I pulled it back out of the water to allow others to use the ramp. In the parking lot I realized I had plugged the fuel line in and not engaged the fuel port so.....embarrassed as all get out, I got back in line and started all over. You would be surprised how quickly my engine started with the fuel line plugged in correctly. probably one of the most embarrassing days of boating I have had.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
a bit late for some, thought I'd bump this form last year

http://www.discoverboating.com/ownin...e/startup.aspx

Spring has sprung and for millions of boaters in the U.S. that means it?s time to take their boats out of winter storage and put them in the water. For many boaters, annual preparation and cleaning projects are necessary rites of spring that help prevent problems that could keep them off the water once the season is underway.
Fuel System
  • Inspect the fuel system for leaks or damage and be sure to pay special attention to fuel hoses, connections and tank surfaces.
  • Evidence of a damaged fuel hose includes softness, brittleness or cracking.
  • Replace components when necessary and verify all fittings and clamps are properly secured.
  • Ensure the engine, exhaust and ventilation systems are all functioning properly.
  • Look before you pump. Don?t fill your tank with fuel that contains more than 10% ethanol (E10) as it will damage your engine
Belts, Cables & Hoses
  • Check belts, cables and hoses because they can become brittle and may crack during winter storage.
  • Belts should fit tightly around pulleys to prevent slipping.
  • A worn belt may leave a black residue near the pulley and will fit loosely.
  • Cracks or swells on the outer jacket of throttle, shift and steering control cables may be of internal corrosion and immanent failure
Electric System
  • Inspect all electrical connections for clean, tight, corrosion free connections. Corroded connections can be dangerous
  • Remove corroded terminals and use a wire brush to clean them, along with all cable ends.
  • Charge your battery and have it tested to ensure it can hold a charge.
  • Electrical systems should be regularly inspected by a qualified technician.
Fluid Levels
  • Check all fluid levels including engine oil, power steering, power trim reservoirs and coolant.
  • Be sure to change the engine oil, oil filter and drive lubricants if these tasks were not done prior to winterizing your boat.
Propellers & Hulls
  • Inspect propellers for dings, pitting, cracks and distortion.
  • Damaged propellers can cause unwanted vibration and damage to your drive train.
  • Make sure the propeller is secured properly, and replace bearings when needed.
  • When inspecting the hull, look for blisters, distortions and cracks. Be sure to clean the hull, deck, and topsides using an environmentally safe cleaning solution.
  • Also, make sure the drain plug is securely in place before every launch.
Safety Gear
  • Check your life jackets to ensure they are in good condition and that there are enough on board for all potential passengers.
  • Ensure that each individual has the correct size life jacket for their body weight.
  • Be sure all onboard fire extinguishers are the correct class for your vessel, and are fully charged and stowed in the proper place.
  • For any enclosed or semi-enclosed area, ensure you have at least one properly installed and working carbon monoxide detector
  • Consider an EPIRB for situations of distress to ensure you can be found
  • Take advantage of any safety inspections offered by the US Coast Guard (USCG), USCG Auxiliary or US Power Squadrons.