Bayliner Element 18XLvs Stingray 182SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppoe65

Cadet
Looking at buying a boat. Not sure if buying new or used, but if going new I'm looking at either the Bayliner Element 18xl or the Stingray 182SC. Both are deck style boats. I will be using the boat just as a run around with the family. Primarily in saltwater back bays off southern New jersey. I have seen many reviews for the bayliner but not much on the stingray.

I am looking for opinions on both boats. Price is very close. Same size motor 115hpOB. seating capacity is roughly 8-9people @2000lbs. Any advice or opinions on either boat is greatly appreciated. Both are coming with a 5year stem to stern warranty.

Thanks in advance..

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those are both entry level boats but would probably serve you quite well. I would look at things like the dealer and how he treats you. Is there someone near you to service the engine? What's the difference in the engine warranties?
I know that Stingray really sells their boats as having great top speed, they specifically design their hulls for that. That's great if you're into speed but when you design toward one thing you have to design away from others. They might be things like handling, stability, ride, fuel efficiency, etc.
Are you into speed?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
There is a site that I'm a member of that is primarily a Bayliner site. They have actual tests on the Element 160,Element XL, Element F18,VR5 and VR6. The site administrator has been invited numerous times by Bayliner to test the new offerings. He gives a HONEST assessment of the models. Also members who actually own the boats give their thoughts and opinions on the boats and the dealerships. I've looked at the Elements personally and like them all. the 160 is not a speed demon with the base motor 60Hp ..30MPH, a 75HP is optional, The XL which is 18ft, has a 90 base and a 115 optional which really hauls butt. The F18 is a Center Console fishing rig. I will send you a private message if you like on which site I'm talking about.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think ^^^^ the site is Boattest.com. You can post them, not a competitor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah BOC has good info on the element. If i remember it has an all fiberglass floor so no rot issue long term. Could be wrong , check it out.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I like both brands, but personally i would buy the Stingray - i think it would be faster and a nicer ride. There is also 191DC (very simalar) - Both of those stingrays are sweet boats.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If I could convince "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED"...There would be a new Element F18 in my back garage! Of course she likes the Base Element 160 with a 60Hp Merc... Since we don't worry about getting anywhere in a hurry. I've seen new ones out the door for around 15K or less.

roffey

Commander
I've said this before in other threads but what the hey, I own a Stingray (198LX). The fit and finish are not the best but nothing a little lock tight and a screw driver will not fix. I would purchase the boat again if I had the chance. Not saying speed is a factor but my boat is one of the faster of its size, rides smoothly across the water and is very quiet. I have had lots of positive comments at the dock and on the water. I will qualify my comment by saying I have never had a Bayliner but would think they are comparable, maybe LOL.

ppoe65

Cadet
Those are both entry level boats but would probably serve you quite well. I would look at things like the dealer and how he treats you. Is there someone near you to service the engine? What's the difference in the engine warranties?
I know that Stingray really sells their boats as having great top speed, they specifically design their hulls for that. That's great if you're into speed but when you design toward one thing you have to design away from others. They might be things like handling, stability, ride, fuel efficiency, etc.
Are you into speed?

Speed is not top priority. I am more concerned with stability. I'm going to be in back bay waters minimum chop.

Thanks for your help.

ppoe65

Cadet
There is a site that I'm a member of that is primarily a Bayliner site. They have actual tests on the Element 160,Element XL, Element F18,VR5 and VR6. The site administrator has been invited numerous times by Bayliner to test the new offerings. He gives a HONEST assessment of the models. Also members who actually own the boats give their thoughts and opinions on the boats and the dealerships. I've looked at the Elements personally and like them all. the 160 is not a speed demon with the base motor 60Hp ..30MPH, a 75HP is optional, The XL which is 18ft, has a 90 base and a 115 optional which really hauls butt. The F18 is a Center Console fishing rig. I will send you a private message if you like on which site I'm talking about.

Thank you....I have seen lots of positive reviews on the Element. Most say go with the 115hp for the power. One of my concerns is that the reviews all mention using on lakes with mild chop..

I will, definatly look at the forum

ppoe65

Cadet
I like both brands, but personally i would buy the Stingray - i think it would be faster and a nicer ride. There is also 191DC (very simalar) - Both of those stingrays are sweet boats.

Thank you for your response.

ppoe65

Cadet
If I could convince "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED"...There would be a new Element F18 in my back garage! Of course she likes the Base Element 160 with a 60Hp Merc... Since we don't worry about getting anywhere in a hurry. I've seen new ones out the door for around 15K or less.

I totally understand...LOL I'm waiting for approval as we speak

ppoe65

Cadet
I've said this before in other threads but what the hey, I own a Stingray (198LX). The fit and finish are not the best but nothing a little lock tight and a screw driver will not fix. I would purchase the boat again if I had the chance. Not saying speed is a factor but my boat is one of the faster of its size, rides smoothly across the water and is very quiet. I have had lots of positive comments at the dock and on the water. I will qualify my comment by saying I have never had a Bayliner but would think they are comparable, maybe LOL.

Thank you.....Admiration from other boaters is great

HARIVERA

Recruit
Not sure if I read a 'real' answer to question...... I too am looking to buy one or the other. I am leaning towards the Stingray 182SC due to it is a better boat! Plastic vs. SS; helm adjustment vs none; the look and feel! And, let's face it, Bayliner is at the low end of the boating world, price wise! Any real use of the Stingray and XL?

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did you ever pull the trigger on this? Looking at the same to both so I'm curious

Status
Not open for further replies.