Epic Boat trip to us that is lol

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
This may be a stupid question but is there a good and safe way to store a 5 gal. container of fuel on board for a just in case moment?

southkogs

Staff member
Toward the end of the year when I'm trying to run the tank way down, I'll stick a 2GAL plastic tank I have under one of the seats in the back (open area so it's fully ventilated). I don't need more than that to get to a dock where I'm boating most of the time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
This may be a stupid question but is there a good and safe way to store a 5 gal. container of fuel on board for a just in case moment?

'store' is the key word there, or more likely not store. Absolute worst is in the engine compartment. Second worst is in any other sealed compartment. Best is on the swim deck in a suitable container and well attached.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should have said plan to temperately store a 5gal of fuel secured on the rear swim platform.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I believe Fremont to Rainbow park in Oshkosh, was 37 miles the last time I ran it.

The problems I see, are the amount of time to get to Rock island, so you get there before dark to set up camp.
And the amount of fuel needed, especially from your last fuel stop - to the island - and back.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

legally, in a 6 gallon portable outboard fuel tank.

gerry cans and fuel cans are not legal in a boat.

read 33 CFR 183 (federal law basis for coast guard regs)

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wisconsin DNR told me a 5gal. fuel container can be used as long as it is stored in a non enclosed area and secured in place.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Wisconsin DNR told me a 5gal. fuel container can be used as long as it is stored in a non enclosed area and secured in place.

Make for sure your legal,...

You'll have to go right past Coast Guard Station Green Bay at the mouth of the river,..................

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Sorry for suck a long delay but trip went off perfectly!!! Water conditions were perfect, Saw 8 to 10 tall ships sailing through the area. Saw magnificent sunsets and spent 4 days with good friends. May do this trip again!!

Attachments

• photo254202.jpg
    photo254202.jpg
    1,011 bytes · Views: 0

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for suck a long delay but trip went off perfectly!!! Water conditions were perfect, Saw 8 to 10 tall ships sailing through the area. Saw magnificent sunsets and spent 4 days with good friends. May do this trip again!!

Great to hear everything went well. Always good to get a follow up report. However, that has got to be the tiniest sunset I've ever seen! ;)

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry every time I try to upload a photo it makes me make it small. how did you get your boat and truck pic so large
?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
sorry every time I try to upload a photo it makes me make it small. how did you get your boat and truck pic so large
?

I have a free account at photobucket.com - I upload all my photos to that website then create a link in my post to the photo. On the photobucket website my photos are original size, sometimes 3 or 4 megabytes in size, but the link method automatically resizes the photo to fit the size limits of the forum.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
we need more info, where did you put in, where did you stop, where did you find fuel, etc.... And of course more pics.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Friday We put in at the Bay shore dr landing about 30 miles north of green bay. Motored from there all the way the Sister Bay to refuel. then on to Rock Island state park for the day. Put in about 10 am and arrived at rock island at about 5pm. never really had it at fwo but a nice ride non the less.

Saturday we did some sight seeing on the island and then explored the islands to the north, lighthouses and just taking in all the beauty.
The sunsets were amazing and hard to put into words, we also stopped at Washington island, rented a car and did some sightseeing on out schedule lol.

Sunday motored over to Escanaba, MI for lunch and some more sightseeing. Then in the afternoon we tried fishing and when that failed we went back to rock island and sat on the beach side of island and drank and swam rest of the day, :)

Monday tore camp down and started out journey back around noon. On the way back all the tall ships from the weekend stop in green bay we're heading out and that was a sight to see.