Epic Boat trip to us that is lol

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
4 adults will sent sail or cruise august 5th to the 8th from Wrightstown, WI and motor around the bay and islands on a 4 day adventure. We are looking for advise tips or anything else you can add fro this trip.

We will be in a 1996 Monterrey 230 Deck Boat and storing all of our camping and supplies in the vast storage holds on boat. Our plan is to camp on rock island state park but we are putting in, in Wrightstown around 11am. It is a 7 hour run up to rock island (est.) arriving around 7pm, and was wondering if there are any other parks, campgrounds or state or county parks along the way that offer overnight docking?

I will admit I have never attempted a trip like this before so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

roffey

Commander
Is not brutally cold? What is the weather like around you? I checked Google maps and your not in the south.

thumpar

Admiral
Is not brutally cold? What is the weather like around you? I checked Google maps and your not in the south.
In August the weather would be fine.

How much fuel does your boat hold? Are there fuel stops along the way?

roffey

Commander
In August the weather would be fine.

Right you are, LOL.

I did not read that the first time. Ha ha ha, I was thinking, man they must be hard core boaters. I am close to lake Ontario and it does not normally freeze completely over but it would be cold, cold, cold. Good thing I did not have some smart guy remark, I'd feel like the fool.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
4 adults will sent sail or cruise august 5th to the 8th from Wrightstown, WI and motor around the bay and islands on a 4 day adventure. We are looking for advise tips or anything else you can add fro this trip.

We will be in a 1996 Monterrey 230 Deck Boat and storing all of our camping and supplies in the vast storage holds on boat. Our plan is to camp on rock island state park but we are putting in, in Wrightstown around 11am. It is a 7 hour run up to rock island (est.) arriving around 7pm, and was wondering if there are any other parks, campgrounds or state or county parks along the way that offer overnight docking?

I will admit I have never attempted a trip like this before so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wow, that is a long long way to go, in potentially rough waters, in 8 hours too.

I seriously doubt you can make the 110-120 mile trip in 8 hours.
There are dams with locks to deal with in the river.
And speed limits once you are in the city of Green Bay.
Then 80 miles of open water.
And how much fuel will you need?

I would suggest you drive 50 miles up to Sturgeon Bay, or 70 miles, to Peninsula State Park, and put in there.

Peninsula is huge, many campsites, sheltered bay.

You should be able to get moorage in Egg Harbor, Sister Bay, or Ellison Bay, but it won't be cheap.

Door County is loaded with cherry orchards, and they will be ripe this time of year.
Many vineyards to sample wine if you are into that, but doubt you can get to any of them from the water. Another reason to drive most of the way up.
Lots of fine dining, as this is vacation land for the wealthy.

Us working folk need to stay in the state parks. LOL

Where are you coming from?

Make your camping reservations early.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nort...1!2d44.3258229

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/rockisland/

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/peninsula/

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
"Door County is loaded with cherry orchards, and they will be ripe this time of year."

Meant to say past ripe, as in done for the year.
But the orchards will still have their gift shops open.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I thought the locks on the Fox were closed because of Invasive Species??

That would be a LONG run in a deck boat,...

I've done Marinette and back fishing tournaments from Metro Park in G.B. and there is no guarantee you'll make it all the way, Let alone get back,.....

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I appreciate all the advise. That is why I posted the idea. to gather the vast knowledge of other boaters. I agree that it would be a long run and we are thinking of camping at Potawatomi state park, but no over night docking. that is going to be the challenge. That is why it is called an adventure. lol As far as rough water, I have talked to many that say the bay side is much calmer than the lakes side.

Has anyone ever docked at Rock Island State Park overnight. Any insight needed in that regard?

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought the locks on the Fox were closed because of Invasive Species??

The locks are closed just south of Wrightstown

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I appreciate all the advise. That is why I posted the idea. to gather the vast knowledge of other boaters. I agree that it would be a long run and we are thinking of camping at Potawatomi state park, but no over night docking. that is going to be the challenge. That is why it is called an adventure. lol As far as rough water, I have talked to many that say the bay side is much calmer than the lakes side.

Has anyone ever docked at Rock Island State Park overnight. Any insight needed in that regard?

The "Bay" can be just as rough as the "Lake",.....

It all depends on the wind,...

I've been out in 10 footers a couple of times,...

Getting in was not fun,..............

I couldn't imagine trying it in a deck boat,....

thumpar

Admiral
We got hit by a sudden wind storm with 6'+ in waves at 60mph in my Crownline. That was not fun. What normally takes 15 minutes took 1 hour 20 minutes and we were drenched.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
People are advising against a 24' boat, but I find it hard to believe people do not use smaller boats out there. Maybe I am being Nivea but if a person were to stick closer to shore verses open water would that help?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
People are advising against a 24' boat, but I find it hard to believe people do not use smaller boats out there. Maybe I am being Nivea but if a person were to stick closer to shore verses open water would that help?

45 years ago, the admiral and I explored the north shore of Georgian Bay and north of Manitoulin Island in our 17' Winner Eliminator (pictured below). We had a camper stern curtain and slept on the sleeper seats. I made roll out drawers for underseat storage and a fold up table in front of the motor well. A 5 lb propane tank fit neatly into the motor well for a camp stove that sat on the table. When fully packed, there was nothing out of place.
- Go for it. - Take only what you need to survive. - Allow extra days to wait out bad weather. - Grandad

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A deck boat and a deep v are two different things when the waves start building,...

Which shore are you gonna stay close to?

Which direction is the wind out of???

It's a long run up the bay in rough water,...........

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Looks like there are only 4 sites left for those dates, - not on the water.

I think I would drive to Peninsula and make base camp there.
Day trip(s) to Rock island, weather and time permitting.

Just curious, how much fuel do you think you boat would use on a 220 mile trip?

Oops, Peninsula is booked solid.

Last edited:

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
rock island state park is still open, fuel don't know we were going to fuel up along the way stopping at marinara as we go. Think take is 40 gal.

"A deck boat and a deep v are two different things"

My boat is the top of a pontoon and a deep V for a bottom. Weights in at 5500# dry and loaded will be close to 6250#

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I know what a deck boat looks like,..

I also know it isn't something I would want to be in when the Bay gets ugly,...

How many miles per gallon does your boat burn??

Where do you plan on getting fuel??

Without proper planing the Bay can and will kill you if things go wrong,...

Safety needs to be the first priority on the Great Lakes,

I don't want to read a news story about a capsized deckboat all souls lost,.............................................

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have been in the bay of Green Bay when it goes from calm to 7 foot waves in under 20 minutes. Watch the weather. If wind is above 10mph, it can get rough

Locks are still closed. I would trailer up to Sturgeon Bay, put in at the quary. From there to Washington Island and back is a day trip, more if you stop at JJ's for Margaritas

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never tested boat for MPG, I do know I have been on other bodies of water and after running most of day from freemont, wi to oshkosh, wi a few times I burned though 1/2 take of gas. my guess is that was about 50 to 60 miles of running close to FWO.

As far as fueling we plan of fueling along the way at marinas.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked on line and found 5 marinas with fuel options. Is that really it or do most marinas offer fuel?