Lawrance LVR-850 Radio - How to use?

malibu3105

Seaman
My boat has a Lowrance LVR-850 radio. No antenna. I plan to get the antenna when I get it service in the next couple weeks. So I assume this is not a typical CB radio... Can anyone explain how I would use this? I assume I could use it if I was stranded somewhere. I do not have GPS or anything like that on the boat. Can I get a hand radio for my family on the shore to talk to them? What are proper uses of this radio? Thanks. I am new to boating, so just want to get it correct. I downloaded the manual, but it seems quite complicated.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In Canada you need a "restricted operators certificate (maritime) " to use a VHF radio, I don't know the rules in the US. The Canadian power and sail squadron offers the operators course. Regardless, whether or not you're qualified, if you are in need of assistance use the VHF to call for help. It is not a toy, but is a vital communications tool for pleasure boaters as well as commercial boats and ships. Again, in Canada, base stations on land are not allowed by private individuals, nor are you supposed to use a handheld VHF for any purpose other than maritime related. If you want to talk freely to other boaters or to someone on shore over the radio you could also install a CB radio on your boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You have a VHF radio and proper use is essential. It is not a ham radio or radio telephone. Take a look at this for a description and this is a basic channel guide.

I'll take exception to one of the opening blanket statements in the first link. A VHF radio is not required by law for most recreational boaters, however a VHF is required if your boat is over a certain length and highly recommended depending where you boat, regardless of boat size. Other than that, both of the links are decent starting points for you to look at.