Boat for sale - Is saltwater a dealbreaker?

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ended up not going with the last boat I was interested in due to some very good advice from you guys. I have another boat on my radar which is a boat that checks off everything we are looking for and is in our price range but I assume it has been run in saltwater its whole life. Being from St Louis, I have always stayed clear of the dreaded saltwater boats, but am I being overly cautious? If I have a mechanic check it out and the components do not see to bad, is it worth considering?

The boat in question is a Searay 220 Sundeck which is what me and my wife were originally looking at until we realized that they were all over (or at the very top) of our price range. We then switched to Regal 2200's, because of the cheaper costs. I really love the way the Regals look, but they do not have the head, which is a big plus for the wife and for any future kids.

Anyway, see the boat in the link attached. From the limited pictures, the boat looks pretty good. The only salt evidence I see is what looks like residue on the dash. Would you be concerned about the salt? The trailer could use some work or at least new (or inflated) tires.

Thalasso

Commander
I would be concerned with the engine. Salt is tough on the risers and associated equipment

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lots of boats run in salt, you just need to do more upkeep.
Doesn't make it a deal breaker, but you should look over any boat purchase with the same discerning eyes.
Often you can get the same rig, cheaper, in a saltwater boating state, because of the climate it was used in.
Salt is corrosive, so look at electrical and metals, that should be a good indicator of its upkeep.

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree that the engine is my biggest concern with the outdrive coming in second. On a lot of boats I look at online, you can see the rust and corrosion on the metal fittings in the engine compartment. With the boat in question, the picture of the engine does not look too bad (visible corrosion). But, pictures can certainly be deceiving.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
My neighbor had exact boat except 2001 model. Comfortable boat for cruising. Are you sure it was used in salt water- some Floridans use fresh water lakes. I think price is a tad high.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Plan on replacing the manifolds and risers and consider that cost when making an offer. My boat goes in salt. Salt is not a concern.

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not positive that it was used in salt water but from the location of the marina, it seams that the owner would have had to drive a bit to find fresh water while being surrounded by tempting saltwater. I am not familiar with the Manifolds and risers ( only worked on outboards ), how expensive of a proposition is that? Is it difficult to do yourself? ( I am fairly mechanical )

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
They are easy to replace and easy to get at on that boat. Ebay has a complete kit with gaskets,bolts, risers for 570.00. Just look at the picture and that will show you pretty much what it entails. They may also sell them on this site,just check-google. 5.7- 350 marine exhaust manifold and risers...The only thing that would concern me about a salt water boat from Fla. would be the possibility of mold on cushions and under hatches. Manifolds and risers get replaced all the time, more so in salt water because of the abrasiveness.

tpenfield

Staff member
10 year old boat that probably was used in salt water is not a big concern. Us 'salt water boaters' don't seem to be as concerned about it :noidea:

A 20+ year old boat in salt water would need more evaluation. You just want to know more about the maintenance and how the boat was kept while not in use (i.e. up on a lift or in the water). A visual inspection of everything will tell the story. From the pictures, it looks fine.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I left you a message on your other thread re: buying in Ontario. There are many 1000's of saltwater boats in Florida alone and guys and gals don't have any problems. One issue I have with a southern boat is it can be used 12 months a year. I would guess an Ontario freshwater boat wouldn't have as many hours in 20 years of use. My brother in law that lives in Boca couldn't believe the shape my 95' StarCraft was in. He though it was 10 years newer.