21 footer vs 23 footer ... mostly same model. Fuel efficiency?

Frag

Cadet
Hi guys,

first post here ... great forum!

I thought that I could use the experience of you guys ... so here is a question that I was not able to get answer on while googling it.

I was in the market for a brand new StarCraft 2119 and just stumbled on a used 2321 which end up being VERY clean and way less expensive than a new boat.

I fell in love with that 23 footer ... it is mostly in mint condition.

So my question is:

Both boat have the same engine (Mercruiser 5.0 MPI), and have only a 150 pounds dry weight difference ...and a 300 full weight difference. So here it is

- 2015 StarCraft Model 2119 - 21' has a dry weight of 3550 pounds and a package weight of 4705 pounds
- 2011 StarCraft Model 2321 - 23' has a dry weight of 3700 pounds and a package weight of 5025 pounds

My question now

1. Will the fuel consumption will be different at cruising speed (I will mostly cruise) considering that the length and the weight of the boat is lightly different? And if yes, dramatically or just a detail?

2. I would for sure really appreciate the 2 feet more. StarCraft are not that expensive to maintain but, should I expect any kind of surprise for the maintenance cost for that 2 feet?

3. Do you feel that a 5.0 is enough for a 23 footer? I know that this boat was also available in 5.7

So briefly what I am saying is, I made my budget for that 21 ... but is the operating cost of the 23 would be way higher? I am mostly concerned about the fuel consumption.

Thanks guys!

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome! You have picked a great place to ask this question, LOTs of knowledge here. I have received lots of help over the years myself, I hope you will too.

I'll try to be concise and my disclaimer is that this is just my opinion, I have no hydro dynamic knowledge or expertise, only my own experience.

First, the fuel consumption, I would expect the 21 to have slightly better fuel economy, say 5-10%, but probably not enough to make a huge difference....HOWEVER, with the 23, you have more room and capacity which in turn invites more people and gear, so while the dry weights may be similar, there is a good chance you on water weight will be quite a bit more with the 23.

We have a '97 Starcraft 2110 SS with a 2 barrel 5.7 and it's really good motor for that boat. We typically have 2 adults and 2 kids with moderate gear. I estimate a typical running weight for us is between 3500 - 4,000. Dry weight is around 3,000, but with a full tank of fuel (51 gallons) , humans and their gear, it can get heavy quickly. With that motor, we achieve relatively decent fuel consumption and the performance is above average. It was the largest motor for that boat in that year.

I would normally opt for the larger boat, however, I am concerned that when it is loaded with full gear, it may be slightly underpowered. If it were equipped with the 350 MAG MPI at 300HP, it would be a no brainer to me....I am also one who would ALWAYS opt for more power than less, fuel be damned. Better to have and not need it than to need and not have it.......I wouldn't expect maintenance costs to differ greatly, if at all due to 2 extra feet, save for extra wax and elbow grease to keep her clean and shiny ;)

One quick note, years ago when I brokered boats, one of my clients once told me, if you are buying a boat based on fuel consumption, you shouldn't be buying a boat.....When you factor in everything, at the end of the day, fuel is going to be just a small expense when it comes to storing and maintaining a boat....Of course this becomes more true, the bigger the boat :)

Best of luck and keep us posted! Be sure to post some pictures!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
How many hours worth of fuel will it take before the cheaper boat "costs more" than the more expensive one?

mr 88

Commander
Agree with post above,that 23 is going to be a lot less money to buy than the 21 as it has hit the biggest depreciation with the 1st owner.You will be happier with the extra 2 feet.Fuel consumption as noted will be very close at cruise and if your worrying about fuel cost, as noted as well, its time to find another activity,especially with todays fuel prices. The 5.0 can be hopped up a bit with a edelbrock intake manifold [200 and carb if you want to drop 5-600 more] a easy to do it yourself project. Take the 23 for a sea trial,which you should do before purchase anyway and see how it responds,if your taking people waterskiing and the boat is loaded you can always use your spare prop with a lower pitch on it to get it out of the hole,just watch the redline.

Frag

Cadet
Are the beams the same width?

Yes both are 102 inches, exactly the same.

Also I am not worried much about the fuel expense since I already have a good idea of how it will cost. But you will understand that I would like to know in advance if let's say the 23 footer would drink 30%-40% more. In that case I would stick to the 21. But from what you guys are saying so far, I can live with a little bit more and enjoy the two more feet ...

thumpar

Admiral
My guess would be a 5% difference with the same amount of stuff on board, if that.

Ned L

Commander
Agree with the above. There are a few other things to be aware of. Registration will probably be a few bucks more. Insurance will be a bit more (and for our sake, please carry at least liability). Also, if you plan on storage somewhere other than your property, that will be more too.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I think burtonrider summed my opinion very well. I have a 21' crownline with a 5.0. It does great performance and fuel wise. I also like more power and was surprised the 5.0 satisfied me. That said, a 5.0 in a 23' ....not so sure performance wise. I wouldn't expect fuel to vary much and the 5.0 does well on consumption.

Where you want to pay attention which may make your decision is storage. That 23' will not fit under your standard 7' tall garage door. Storage costs will be higher because you are probably going to be paying for 30' length instead of 27'. Insurance should be negligible because engine size is the same.

mr 88

Commander
^ The OP was asking about fuel economy,not storage issues. But since you went there , he is looking at a 23 vs 21 so I don't know where you come up with a 30' storage cost vs 27 unless your talking dry storage and your counting the trailer in the length, which you did not mention. A 21' will not fit under or into a standard size garage either so that makes no difference. The OP has a two foot difference in length and you made it 3 foot as well. Most Marinas charge by the foot for wet storage and some do it in increments and its usually 20/25/30 so he would fall into the same 25 foot dock. Sea trial and go for the extra 2 ' you wont regret it.

thumpar

Admiral
If you go with the 21' you will probably have twofootites. Just a warning.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Mr 88, yes I was taking about dry storage. My 21 could fit in a 27' storage unit with a little to spare. My 21' fits under my standard door with nothing to spare. I back it in and out every weekend over the summer. Not knowing his experience with ownership, I thought storage may be relevant to an informed decision.

I'm not sure what is worse - twofootitis or not enough motor. I find happiness in keeping mine in my garage, prevents my twofootitis. That's just me, I'm not the op.

Frag

Cadet
Thanks to all for the good answers. As I thought, a lot of people here are really knowledgeable. I will probably come back with more questions in the next few days. But don't be afraid, I will google first before bugging you guys ;)

Thanks again ... this forum is a bless.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ The OP was asking about fuel economy,not storage issues. But since you went there , he is looking at a 23 vs 21 so I don't know where you come up with a 30' storage cost vs 27 unless your talking dry storage and your counting the trailer in the length, which you did not mention. A 21' will not fit under or into a standard size garage either so that makes no difference. The OP has a two foot difference in length and you made it 3 foot as well. Most Marinas charge by the foot for wet storage and some do it in increments and its usually 20/25/30 so he would fall into the same 25 foot dock. Sea trial and go for the extra 2 ' you wont regret it.
Well, yes and no. He does ask about the operating cost of a 21 VS 23. I would consider, registration, storage, trailering all a part of operational costs....

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to all for the good answers. As I thought, a lot of people here are really knowledgeable. I will probably come back with more questions in the next few days. But don't be afraid, I will google first before bugging you guys ;)

Thanks again ... this forum is a bless.
You are not bugging anyone, we are all here to talk boats! Good on you to do as much research as possible, being prepared will not hurt. As I mentioned, we have a 1997 2010SS Starcraft. There probably isn't much, if any carryover due to the distance in age of our boats, but if I can help, just let me know!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
LOL...ask away. The questions to help you spend your money are the good ones that I enjoy most.

I hope I didn't come off strong to anyone on this thread. If so, my apologies. We have lots of different experiences and some of us are less willing to compromise on one issue than another. In the end, we're all just trying to help and give you information so you can decide for you.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
How much less? As stated if 10% more to own and operate, and you spend 50 hours per year crusing, how many years before it balances out?

I'd vote used and bigger. Performance diff won't be much at all, and these are not speed boats. You state mostly cruising so will be about the same in performance. The weight diff is like having an extra 2 people on board. Hole shot will be slower, cruisng similar.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
You won't regret the 2 ft extra. I have a 23 foot Sea Ray and I love the extra space above a 21 footer. Don't bother about the difference in fuel consumption, it's always to much.

Frag

Cadet
I need to be careful now since I got the boat bite. I was first looking at StarCraft 21' or 23' ... but I made the error of taking a look at a Crownline E2 2012 with the Bravo III 350MAG (172 hours). It is not in the same price Range ... but that boat really sank into me. I am trying to forget about it, but it's a curse!!!! Anyone here has experience with the Crownline E2 (its a 2012)...

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The only crownline experience is with my 202. It has the 5.7 efi with bravo drive. Crownlines have extra little touches.