Stingray Boats

cashwowud

Cadet
Hi Guys, I am looking to upgrade my Four Winns 205 Sundowner cuddy (Volvo 5.7Gsi ) which I have owned for 15 years. I have looked at Stingray boats online but they are not common here in the UK with only one dealer but the price is attractive. I am looking at a 250 cr (25ft cuddy).
Please could anyone give me some general info on Stingray boats regarding quality etc. and which other makes would they compare with.

Thanks in advance,

cashwowud

eavega

Lieutenant
Well, Stingray has always been considered to be an "entry level" boat (thus the attractive price). There are much better out there (at a higher cost), but that having been said they are not junk, just not anything spectacular.

I have an old Stingray (1988), and I've found the construction to be solid, the materials to be adequate, and I have not had any real problems with the boat itself since I have owned it (purchased it 3 or 4 years ago). Only work I have had to do to it other than PM and personal use modifications has been more with the engine than the boat itself. My stingray (176 SVB) is pretty light, so it is powered well by the Mercruiser 3.0L which is original to the boat.

Hope that helps some.

Rgds
E

diveman05

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys, I am looking to upgrade my Four Winns 205 Sundowner cuddy (Volvo 5.7Gsi ) which I have owned for 15 years. I have looked at Stingray boats online but they are not common here in the UK with only one dealer but the price is attractive. I am looking at a 250 cr (25ft cuddy).
Please could anyone give me some general info on Stingray boats regarding quality etc. and which other makes would they compare with.

Thanks in advance,

cashwowud

I find myself very similar to your story.

We used to own a 1989 Four winns 205 sundowner

Sold it for a 2003 Stingray 240CS, so close to what your looking at ours is a little taller i believe with the aft cabin.

Have owned the boat a few years now. Price is one reason we got it as comp. Four winns and Sea rays are much much more. Overall though I'm very happy with the boat. There are a few parts you can tell are made cheaper I guess you could say but overall everything has held up great. For a 13 year old boat the fiberglass is in good shape, seats are in good shape, gel coat is good. Only problem i'm having right now is the freshwater tank I think I have to run backwards as I have a blockage. The boat runs nice on the water, for a 24' cruiser it has the 350 mag mpi and will get on plan quick and tops out near 50mph which is plenty fast enough.

I'm always a firm believer in any boat will last if it is taken care of and I could tell the PO of ours took care of it and I take care of it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We bought a Stingray, not so much because of the price, but because we liked the layout. The fit-n-finish was very good, the ride and handling was very good, and the performance and speed was outstanding.

Our sons grew up in the boat. Our #2 son bought another Stingray 9 years ago and his experience has been better than ours. When we had ours built we (and the dealer) worked with the factory to get the build the way we wanted it. My son had a few cosmetic upholstery problems (even after the warranty ran out) and new parts were expressed by UPS to his house free of charge.

We just finished our 32nd boating season with our Stingray, for a total of about 1450 engine hours. If you offered me 7 figures and a free Cobalt trade, you wouldn't get her. Is that enough of a testiment?

Entry level.....pfffft. We were boat owners for 16 years when we moved up to the Stingray.

thumpar

Admiral
I would say they are above a Bayliner and maybe just a touch lower than a Four Winns. Are you looking at used? If it is used condition is the main thing. I would buy a like new Bayliner over a rotten Cobalt.

roffey

Commander
I own a Stingray and agree with the comments above. The fit and finish is not perfect but I do like the boat and given the chance would get another Stingray