Wakeboard Mirror Size

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning on getting a removable mirror for wake boarding that will attach to the bar where my windshield goes. I don't have a windshield on, just the bar. Anyway, it is a small 14ft boat and I don't have a lot of hanging options.

I found a 4"X8" size and a 4"X11" for almost the same price.

Do you think the 4X11" will be too big on that boat? Or is it well worth it to get a bigger mirror?

I'd probably leave it up all the time if it wasn't in the way.

I plan on occasionally going out with just one other, so no spotter. That is why I need the mirror. Legal in FL without spotter as long as you have a mirror. Anyone just go out with one person on boat? Any advice on that? I would stay very clear of other boats so you know. There's plenty of places near me that I can be a half mile away from anyone for over 30 mins.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I personally use a spotter - no mater if the mirror is legal. only takes a second for the skier to get into trouble.

Then again, riding in the back of pickup trucks / stake bed trucks is also legal in Florida, and every year there are many deaths and injuries due to accidents with people in the back of a truck.

alldodge

Staff member
A spotter is best, but I would say the bigger the mirror the better. You want it big so you spend as little time as possible looking over your shoulder to see where the border is. If you look away ya might miss that shallow log or other floating object. Being a 14 foot boat, I'm pretty sure you will notice if the rider falls, and a little mirror will not help much

oldjeep

Admiral
Bigger the better, the curved 180 degree mirrors like CIPA or PTM are the best but more expensive. Even in my 4000lb ski/wake boat I can feel the rider go down as easily as seeing them in the mirror. No spotter and mirror is legal here in MN and that is how my wife and I operate most of the time. Looking forward to the WI law getting changed

Last edited:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a similar question now that I see this one. I purchased a new to me boat in December (I'm in Missouri so no chance to get it on the water yet) and when I was taking inventory of everything included, I found a mirror. It is an 18 foot ski boat with wake board tower. My question is, do I mount it on my side or the passenger side for best visibility. I won't ever be pulling somebody without a spotter but figure for even normal use the visibility would be nice. Since the boat is currently stored in a warehouse and backed right up to a brick wall until spring, I didn't exactly get anything out of trying to test it out in there. Any pros or cons to either side?

alldodge

Staff member
IMO where ever gives you the best view angle to your blind spots, or harder to spots

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I inherited such a mirror (mine is about 4" x 8" and is curved) when I bought my boat. I used it a few times in conjunction with a spotter. It was not always easy to keep an eye on the skier, especially when the water was even a tiny bit rough or when the skier was darting back and forth. (I ended up shelving the mirror; I spent too much time trying to spot the skier and not enough time watching where the boat was going.) I'd recommend the biggest mirror you can make work in your boat.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I would say the biggest mirror you can get, a spotter is better but since I doubt you'll be out with one often the mirror will help but do remember that they may switch sides and be out to your right. So I would say get 2, one for each side of you. Or you could do depending on the boat like I am going to be installing, a rear view camera with a decent monitor on the dash. I will not be using it to know when a tuber or skier falls but more to try and control where they go.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bigger mirror is better. If you were in Canada it would be a criminal code offence to go out without a spotter. Similar to drunk driving.
A spotter is best but a mirror helps and gives you a quicker view of what is going on around you even if you are just cruising.

oldjeep

Admiral
I have a similar question now that I see this one. I purchased a new to me boat in December (I'm in Missouri so no chance to get it on the water yet) and when I was taking inventory of everything included, I found a mirror. It is an 18 foot ski boat with wake board tower. My question is, do I mount it on my side or the passenger side for best visibility. I won't ever be pulling somebody without a spotter but figure for even normal use the visibility would be nice. Since the boat is currently stored in a warehouse and backed right up to a brick wall until spring, I didn't exactly get anything out of trying to test it out in there. Any pros or cons to either side?

Typically they are mounted in the center ;)

This is a standard flat 7x14 that comes from the factory in most tow boats (my Malibu)
WP_20140405_011.jpg

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, buffet the better. Two is even better. Adjust them so *** can see the boarder while under way and as they are getting up. I wake boarded like with a buddy for a few years. In fact, this is how we learned to wake board. Just be very aware of your surroundings. If it's congested, you may want to find another place or time

oldjeep

Admiral
Never seen a tow boat with 2 mirrors, but I guess you could try anything,

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah, center makes sense especially with the mirror not being permanently mounted. For some reason it never popped into my head to close the windshield and I just couldn't see how I could get a good view on either side! I certainly won't ever be towing anybody without a spotter but my thought with it is that since I have it, I might as well use it for general cruising around just so I can be more aware of the other boats around me.

oldjeep

Admiral
Ah, center makes sense especially with the mirror not being permanently mounted. For some reason it never popped into my head to close the windshield and I just couldn't see how I could get a good view on either side! I certainly won't ever be towing anybody without a spotter but my thought with it is that since I have it, I might as well use it for general cruising around just so I can be more aware of the other boats around me.

Well, it is more or less permanently mounted in my boat, but even on boats where it is clamped to the top of the windshield frame you can open and close the center windshield with the mirror on.