fishing lake erie with no alternator/generator

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 57 Evinrude Lark on my 16' MFG tri-hull. I frequently fish out of erie 5+miles out. I met up with a guy the other day (buying a bigger fuel tank), Who said I was nuts for going that far out with no way to charge my batts. It got me thinking, would y'all consider that safe? I carry 3 batteries on board: 1 for accessories, 1 for starting, and 1 for a spare starting battery. I run a bilge pump, trolling motor (short bursts), Fish finder,stereo, and marine radio. The only time I ever have to switch to my spare is if I go out at night. My lights KILL my batteries. I can start the engine off of one battery 20+ times before it starts to even slow down.

Second, How can I charge my batteries when i'm out there fishing? I've thought of solar but space is so limited on this little boat. Perhaps someone makes a tow behind water turbine of sorts? On my Sundancer (26ft), we have a generator.

Curious as to what others do. Thanks, -Devin.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

When I first started typing this I thought: "man, that's gutsy using an antique motor as your daily driver that far out." I almost feel like you're at as much risk of a mechanical failure as you are an electrical one. But, you sorta' sound like you know what you're doing with it (and you've got a way to "phone home") so I've kinda' come around a little ...

My preference would be to use a newer motor and have some sort of a charging back to the batteries ... like what's being suggested to you. But you're carrying a backup battery already - so, you are (kinda') using a workaround for not charging the existing battery. What about just stashing a portable jump starter on board too?

I used to run a '58 Lark 35HP. It was a good motor for a long time.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you are capable of pull starting that motor, I would not think the lack of a generator is an issue. Clearly you should maintain the motor so it is reliable.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is there no generator on the Lark? Wouldn't matter anyway, doesn't put out much.Just enough to maintain the battery.
What size batteries? Batteries should be put on charge at the end of the day and put on maintain once charged.
If allowed to sit, static they will sulfate.,
Replace the lights with LEDs.More light with less power.I have a 6" X 3/4" LED flashlight with a single rice grain size bulb
2 AA batteries Lights a 5ft circle at about 15', lights a 13 X 20 ft room enough to get around.Imagine what a flood light might do,

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
First thing I thought was is 5 miles is a long way? I regularly boat into wild areas where a round trip is over 100 miles of water with 60 of it being no roads cell service or habitation. Now that would be crazy of you to attempt. 5 miles with 3 batts on board sounds prepared to me. A jump would be a good idea though to have an extra back up.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
After reading the OP's post here are my thoughts..Everyone has a different BOATING BUCKS budget to deal with. Fishing any large body of water, especially any of the Great Lakes, relying on a 50-60 year old motor is asking for trouble, no matter how good of shape a person may think it's in. My suggestion would be to locate a late 90's and up motor with electric start, power trim/tilt,oil injection and charging system. Why...The newer motors are lighter, more fuel efficient and have a more than capable charging output to maintain the starting and trolling motor batteries charge when using a ACR (automatic charging relay). You then delete the extra battery. Changing over to LED lights on the boat will also be a BIG help. For example...I had a 1999 Sylvan Sea Monster, with a 2000 Merc 40hp 4cylinder 2 str. I fished Center Hill and Dale Hollow lakes in TN and the St Johns river in Fl, I had a Grp 24 for starting and Grp 29 for the trolling motor and accessories. I could fish all day long without fear of running my batteries down. Running the BIG motor going from spot to spot allowed for the batteries to be topped off. I had a 6 gal main fuel tank and a 3 gal aux tank. Never came close to running out of fuel while fishing. On my 2000 Bayliner Capri Cuddy with a 90Hp Merc, I also had a ACR to maintain my 2 batteries. Just my 2cts.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sounds all too familiar. My first boat had a Lark, and we also fish on the Great Lake, though we don't even start until after being out about 8 miles. Twice the Lark gave out on me, though both times we were only a stone's throw from the dock. Back then the motor was almost new.

I wouldn't be concerned with the batteries, given your description. I also wouldn't be concerned with the "old" motor - the old girl probably has a lot of life in her, given good maintenance. My concern would be not having an auxilliary engine.

What I would do, and what I did way back when, was throw a little 3hp kicker on the transom. It could double as a trolling motor, plus it'll get you back home in an emergency. It won't need a battery. I put a kicker on in 1970, and haven't been without one since.

As i said, the Lark failed me twice, and a brand new Mercruiser failed twice when within the first 2 years. Going to a 1990's or newer Evinrude won't promise not having trouble.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I seriously don't know if boating 5 miles out is any worst then boating in some real wilderness lakes. I mean there is always a possibility to break down in any body of water far from civilization or help. You could be simply a mile away from help, but can't get back. So there are iffy situations everywhere. Life isn't a perfect event. Some times you can try to cover every possible situation and other times not so much. Each person has to make those calls as to if they are safe from any possible tragic occurrence. And if you feel okay with it, go for it. I would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but others have no issue with it. So different strokes for different folks. JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a 3.5hp kicker, go boating.

imagine what one can do if he/she doesnt know that everyone says they cant do it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
buy a 3.5hp kicker, go boating.

imagine what one can do if he/she doesnt know that everyone says they cant do it.

Scott that is very true. I do remember when still working, that somebody would present a project to our team for us to tackle, and tell us what was wrong and what they needed. I would simply say, YES, we can do it. The other team members would say not so fast, I don't think we can. After talking with them to explain how we can do it, then they were okay, yes, we CAN do it. Some times we talk ourselves out of doing things that we are certainly capable of accomplishing. Off my soapbox now! :facepalm:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I released 29 different diesel NFPA-20 diesel firepump models that were all UL listed and FM approved over an 18 month period of time from concept to market release. I thought it took way too long, and should have been done in 11 months. Turns out it had never been done, and both certifying engineers from UL and FM had bets that it wouldn't be done since our competition usually took 2 years to release/certify 1 model.

If the OP goes fishing 5 miles out and has a bunch of batteries and either a kicker or a set of oars, who am I to argue. people crossed from cuba on a truck with barrels tied to it and paddles for propulsion. Heck the one guy did it twice.

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome aboard:

When I first started typing this I thought: "man, that's gutsy using an antique motor as your daily driver that far out." I almost feel like you're at as much risk of a mechanical failure as you are an electrical one. But, you sorta' sound like you know what you're doing with it (and you've got a way to "phone home") so I've kinda' come around a little ...

My preference would be to use a newer motor and have some sort of a charging back to the batteries ... like what's being suggested to you. But you're carrying a backup battery already - so, you are (kinda') using a workaround for not charging the existing battery. What about just stashing a portable jump starter on board too?

I used to run a '58 Lark 35HP. It was a good motor for a long time.

I would like to find a kicker for her, but as fishin98 said, my "boating bucks" are limited by the boss. People around here are asking 400$+ for 5hp outboards. I do have a paddle, and two trolling motors, so I feel like I could at least use my big troller to keep her moving in the right direction in an emergency. It's a "seletric shift "so the engine uses a tiny bit of juice while running and shifting. Any reccomendations on a cheap kicker?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I would like to find a kicker for her, but as fishin98 said, my "boating bucks" are limited by the boss. People around here are asking 400$+ for 5hp outboards. I do have a paddle, and two trolling motors, so I feel like I could at least use my big troller to keep her moving in the right direction in an emergency. It's a "seletric shift "so the engine uses a tiny bit of juice while running and shifting. Any reccomendations on a cheap kicker?
Maybe you could pitch it as you will have half the coffee (or something similar) each week so off-set the budget a bit. Also mention that having a kicker would be much safer for you and you'll be more likely to be back home safe.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at Craigs List in different areas a decent 3-6hp.70's-80's motor should be able to be found $400-$500. Looking at images for 16ft MFG trihulls, there doesn't look to be a lot of room to mount a kicker. For many years I used a 2HP Honda on the back of my Sylvan, then passed it on to my brother that he used it on his 16ft Sylvan back troller. I got it back this summer, still runs like a champ...and it's a 1992. weighs in at approx. 28lbs. I still recommend looking into a much newer primary motor in the future when the BOATING BUCKS allow it.....

mr 88

Commander
Buy a 100.00 lithium ion mini jumper box. Not much bigger than a cell phone. There good for about 20 jumps and hold there charge for about 6 months if you don't use it. They also will charge your cell if need be and can be stored in your tackle box with out taking up any space as well as stored in the car for the winter months.Dual purpose and should allow you to fish worry free.Most also come with super bright led light that functions as a flashlight ,S O S - or strobe which can be usefull at sea.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
As a fellow lake Erie boater myself and lifelong at that I can safely say so what....If your boat and motor is properly maintained and serviced then you should be good to go. % miles out on lake erie on a nice day is nothing. I am assuming you watch and follow the weather closely? I had a 14' starcraft that I have gone as far as 10 miles offshore but....near perfect weather and also carry a portable weather radio and also watch conditions carefully, did that for many years with no issues. If the weather was questionable I didn't go out or now where near as far. So....back to your battery/alternator question....if you have a separate battery for starting and for accessories then you are good to go as long as the batteries get the same proper care as the motor gets. I have moved up to a much larger boat nowadays but still maintain two batteries, one for main starting engine and a deep cycle for ALL accessories, including lights. Now that deep cycle is not charged by the engine (it can be as I have a switch but choose not to) so I need to charge it on occasion on a slow deep cycle charger....I only need to do that a couple times a season. Yep that is correct, I am on the lake at least 6-10 times per month and only charge my deep cycle a couple times per season (6-7 months). If your lights are running your battery that low quickly I would recheck your wiring or perhaps you do not have a deep cycle...? My accessory battery runs lights, depth finder, gps, ship/shore radio, aerator for minnows, music radio and cell phone charger and it lasts for about 2 months before I charge it. Main battery is charged by alternator but when my alternator went out a couple years back I still made about 4 trips out before I charged that battery and I know your ob uses less power than my inboard does. When I was a young lad back in the 60's I had a 15' Lyman with a 30 hp jonny and cruised all over lake erie from Toledo to port Clinton to the islands without any problems BUT... I watched the weather and did not take chances. This sounds like you and if so....you sound like your good to go. In fact I worry more about other crazy boaters than I do about the weather.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It's a "seletric shift "so the engine uses a tiny bit of juice while running and shifting. Any reccomendations on a cheap kicker?

Now you got me worried. A '57 selectric shift is a failure waiting to happen. I can't believe its run this long. That's why they don't make them any more, and after 2 failures that's why I sold mine.

I agree about telling the boss that its in the best interest of your safety.

thumpar

Admiral
A newer motor would probably have better fuel economy also so in the long run you would save money.