Formula 27 PC with Twin 4.3

Rboats509

Cadet
Found a good deal on a 2003 Formula 27pc in EXCELLENT condition. My only concern with it is it has the 4,3 V-6's. My concern is getting and staying on plane with a few friends and gear aboard. The tested WOT speed and cruising speed looks ok on paper, I was not sure what the real world expierience is with this setup. I would appreciate any input.

tpenfield

Staff member
AllDodge is our resident Formula 27 PC expert, but his boat is a single 502 engine, not the twins.

My take is that you will find the boat under powered, since you are dealing with a total of about 420 HP. A light load will probably be fine, but a heavier load of people and gear may be sluggish.

The spec on that boat is 9,500 lbs (dry). I have the 330SS at 8,900 lbs (dry) and it has twin 7.4 EFI, 620 total HP.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
You will be fine with those engines. Unless you overload the boat with gear and passengers. I had a 31ft. cruiser with same engines, it is was just fine.

alldodge

Staff member
I believe the biggest issue will be low end torque. These are heavy boats and need a low of it to get up on plane. My boat came with a single carb 454 and would hardly pull it self out. Change to a 502 MPI (415hp) and it comes up pretty well, and will come up with a few more folks then the wife and I, but does struggle. Pull the motor out and rebuilt, now it brings 530hp/617 ftlb torque and she comes right up without issue.

Being twins also puts more weight on stern then a single but you do have more blade area. I would request a test drive and bring along some large friends for a test ride