Title & Bill of Sale issue

Stackmoney86

Cadet
Back in 2007 I did some work for my 1984 Imperial VC 200 to salvage parts of it and all. Didn't even think about redoing it. So after I did the truck work I went and picked it up.

Fast forward to 2016. I want to restore this boat as it fits our needs. However, no title or bill of sale. The coworker who I did the labor trade for has moved.

Options as previous owner is no longer reachable, and the GA registration number on it is not for him as he was scrapping the boat.

State is Alabama and registration office won't help without a BOS.

thumpar

Admiral
You probably need to call the place that you register them at to find out what needs to be done. In my state you can file for lost title but every state is different.

Stackmoney86

Cadet
Thanks. I am going to call my previous county DMV as we all know each other first name basis to avoid the theft assumption. It's been in my possession for 9 years now and a Sheriff Deputy even unannounced stopped by to try and buy it.

They answer my questions better and actually give me numbers to places if they can't answer.

My current county DMV. Nope sorry -click-

Last edited:

Stackmoney86

Cadet
You probably need to call the place that you register them at to find out what needs to be done. In my state you can file for lost title but every state is different.

Thank you for mentioning what your state allowed. It gave me some other keywords to search. Just did a search of Alabama requirements from desktop instead of phone since I get better search results.

Alabama does not require a Title for registration. If a Bill of Sale is lost depending on county I can do a notarized affidavit. So looks like I know what to ask now when I call the DMV.

Thanks for the help, and this was a lesson learned for sure! Last thing I want to do is dump the thousands needed into this project and then I can't even enjoy it.