Waterproofing Spray For Boat Cover?

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat cover is starting to leak a little and I've been having to sop up water on the stern side of the deck after heavy rains. I've see something called Star Brite Waterproofing specifically sold for boat covers but it is rather expensive. It seems to get decent reviews.

Does anyone know of something I could get locally (Home Depot, Walmart, etc.) that would work well for the cover and not break the bank? It's only a 14ft boat so might not need a lot of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you think that it will hold up for awhile? At least several months?

oldjeep

Admiral
Dad uses scotch guard outdoor watershield on his pontoon cover every couple years. Takes quite a few cans but it works.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dad uses scotch guard outdoor watershield on his pontoon cover every couple years. Takes quite a few cans but it works.

How big is his boat? That stuff is the cheapest and easiest to get. Does he just do one coat on each side?

oldjeep

Admiral
How big is his boat? That stuff is the cheapest and easiest to get. Does he just do one coat on each side?

21 ft pontoon, so the cover is a huge rectangle. He just sprays the outside.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use the starbrite waterproofing. I go thru a gallon a year between the 2 boats and the tiki bar, spraying every 3 months. then again, when it rains down here, it rains.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've seen the 303 Fabric Guard for 17.99 for 16oz spray bottle. Do you think that's enough? Is it worth getting that over 2 cans of $5 scotch guard?

robert graham

Admiral
Do you have any kind of supports under the cover to form a "tent" so water naturally runs off and doesn't tend to puddle up?.... I've heard of folks putting inflatable items like rafts or inner tubes under the covers to hold them up....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
How much 303 will I need? 16ft cover. First few feet of cover go over a closed bow.

well i use a gallon on my 8 x 20 foot pontoon cover, so as a pure guess i would say a hafe gallon, but if you have any left over it can be used later, a good treatment last 3 years or so. 303 is what the cover makers recommend to keep it water proff

Last edited:

Scott290

Recruit
My boat cover is starting to leak a little and I've been having to sop up water on the stern side of the deck after heavy rains. I've see something called Star Brite Waterproofing specifically sold for boat covers but it is rather expensive. It seems to get decent reviews.

Does anyone know of something I could get locally (Home Depot, Walmart, etc.) that would work well for the cover and not break the bank? It's only a 14ft boat so might not need a lot of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

I have used some stuff called Never Wet. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It works great!! The water will run off well.

Scott

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
303 Protectant is excellent stuff -- way better than Scotchguard, IMO. I use a half gallon on the cockpit and bow covers for my 19' boat. That amount thoroughly wetted and waterproofed the fabric. You would need quite a few cans of Scotchguard to get the same amount and quality of waterproofing.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I just ordered a 32oz spray bottle of the 303 Marine fabric guard on ebay. Only cost me $22.

I have one of those cheap $50 Harbor Master covers you get at Walmart. They work great at first but leak and tear after about a year. I'm hoping this 303 will not only stop it from leaking but prevent or delay tears from happening so soon. The areas that are leaking look like they have faded spots on cover. Might be a sign that those area will tear soon. Probably from the Florida sun.

I have a custom built rain stand but there is one particular area that sags a little and water will sit if a heavy rain storm has happened. That was the first area that leaked through.

jforrest1

Seaman
I've always used Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellant by Kiwi. Used it on Bimini that you could see daylight through and after a coating it never leaked. I used to officiate high school football games and would spray my jacket and hat and it would keep me dry in some games where we had some really hard driving rains! You can get it at Wally World for around $12-$14 a can.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Pretty old post.Wonder if he still has a boat?? Lol .Dollar for dollar I use aerosol from Walmarts camping dept. Has bright orange cap.Works very good and is approx $5 .be generous and spray both sides if you buy enough.Charlie

jbcurt00

Staff member
Better check again Charlie,

Erock started this topic yesterday and has posted to it several times today, including an hour and a half before jforrest did....