Sylvan 17' center Console-please help

Tysonali

Recruit
I have a Sylvan 1987 VFC 175. If anyone could let me know what gas tank came stock In that boat you will be my hero lol. I bought it before I deployed and my bro in law took it out put regular gas and it's a 2 stroke. He only took it on my neighborhood lake 100yds out.she said it shows 3/4 of a tank but I can't find how many gallons the tank is. I'm not going to have my wife syphon it but I need to know how much gas is in there to have her add the right amount of oil. I'm coming home in 4 days and I want that thing ready. Please help.
VR
joe

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your BIL doesnt know how much gas he put in it?

Tysonali

Recruit
He said he filled it up. He never even thought it was an issue until he told me about it and I asked him about 50/1 ratio and how many gallons

Maclin

Admiral
In order to get the ratio right without siphoning it all out and starting over, you will need to know how much was already in it when he filled it up. And of course the gas tank size. The gauges are only accurate to a degree, so if you can get what you feel is a good estimated gallonage that was added I would error on the side of a little too rich of an oil mix.

Right now I would only recommend getting it all pumped or siphoned dry, and relegate what comes out to another use and start fresh on next fill. You can hook up a pump to the tank end of the primer bulb connection and get it going that way. Just using the primer bulb unhooked at the engine side can get squirts of fuel out at a time but even with a longer hose that reaches out below the tank level may work but would have problems keeping the siphon gong due to the anti-siphon valve at the tank.

One method would be to hook a long fuel line at the hose from the tank that goes to the bulb with a male-to-male barb, have some spare fuel ready and hold the new line end higher than the tank level and fill those lines with fuel all the way into the tank. Once these lines from the tank are full then clamp off the end of the long added hose and move it to a container on the ground lower than the tank, put the end of the hose in there and release the clamp. That should maintain a good prime and start to drain into the container. May need to have more than one container ready and rotate.

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of motor is on it...does it have a remote oil injection tank or one mounted on the motor..then it's really not a issue as far a fuel/oil ratio...just a tank sending unit issue. If the motor does not have oil injection...then empty the tank and start fresh....looking around the web...I would guess your tank is approx. 24 gal.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If it is 24 gallons, and most likely is, or possibly less, just put in enough oil for all 24 gallons and forget about it, go run it. Next time just use 50:1, it may have a little more oil in it than it needs for a short time, but it's not going to be a problem.

NYBo

Admiral
Figure out tank size, have the proper amount of oil for the full amount added, then top off the tank.

Welcome home, and thank you for your service.