getting back into boating

jak1

Cadet
hello all! new guy looking to get back into boating.54 years young,central pa.my first boat was a Regal 2150 LSC and also had a small smokercraft fishing boat.I had owned about 10 PWC over the years as well.Been looking around for nothing bigger than a 21ish size.I alwayshave been partial to cuddies.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boating the just like riding the bike.

re: Hop on, have a few bumps (off the dock and trailer) and have lots of fun.

Enjoy your future adventures...

tpenfield

Staff member
hello all! new guy looking to get back into boating.54 years young,central pa.my first boat was a Regal 2150 LSC and also had a small smokercraft fishing boat.I had owned about 10 PWC over the years as well.Been looking around for nothing bigger than a 21ish size.I always have been partial to cuddies.

:welcome:

Welcome aboard. how long have you been on 'boat sabbatical' ? Probably not much too different these days. My brother just got back into boating after a 20 year rest and seemed to do fine. I gave him some sage advice . . . "just don't buy a P.O.S. like you did the last time" :D He got a Grady-White.

Regal probably has something in your range. How can we help?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Honestly jak1, you never really got out of boating. Your ideas were only dry-docked for a while. So pick one out and join in the fun. If you have any questions, post away. There are some very knowledgeable folks on these forums that can answer most any question. :thumb:

jak1

Cadet
thanks all for the welcome! I am looking at used even though I really love the Yamaha boats! I have been eyeing up a 1998 Regal 1700 LSR but I have had bad experiences with the dealer that has it.I just really love the lines on the Regals in those years.I want ease of trailering as well so nothing real big.I sold my Regal in 2003.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That '98 looks nice, but a boat that age is a prime candidate for rotten wood in the transom, stringers and deck. Look her over carefully for soft spots in the deck or exposed parts of the stringers and transom; if it's cold (and the boat is frozen), those spots might be harder to find.

Good luck and welcome back to boating!

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Huh. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that before, little things like the windshield not wrapping around, mirror(s) and that trolling motor setup. I would definitely have taken a look at that if it were in my area when I was looking in December though and quite probably purchased if it all checked out. The little things intrigue me and would definitely be something that you don't see at our lake. Plus it is right in the price range I had set for myself before finding my new ride.

Boats like that are exactly how I set my range too. I had been lurking for a few years but I any given day I could look on Craigslist and find at least three boats in the $5-6K range that I would be more than happy with as long as everything checked out. That was my budget and I was casually browsing every other day or so with the intent to buy in spring. So of course one random Sunday in December I was bored browsing and I fell in love with my new girl and went $2500 over my budget!!! I got lucky and ended up with 125% of what I dared even put on my wish list in a boat I could afford though. Plus I got her for $3500 under NADA average value and that's before all the extra stuff he included (extra prop, 9 PFDs, all safety equipment, tube, and on and on).

jak1

Cadet
those regals are hot looking! the boat is inside the dealer showroom so no frozen stuff.I made an offer but they are being stubborn which is fine since I really think I would like to stick with my cuddy.Hopefully going to look at a 93 chaparral 206 limited with the 4.3 merc and its in my price range.Before I even started looking I was wanting at least a v6 since my first boat was a v8.Thinkin the 4cylinder just wouldnt keep me happy.The chaparral looks pretty nice except it has bottom paint which I hate.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I admit the bottom paint doesn't look at nice when it is on the trailer but you'll never see it when she's in the water. Although I have never had a boat with bottom paint. I'm assuming that leads to additional cost with needing to paint again every so often even if it isn't stored in the water? If that is the case, could you enjoy it for a couple of years and then go with a gelcoat or whatever when it comes time to paint again and not have to worry about it anymore?

jak1

Cadet
they swear the bottom paint can be pressure washed off as it is kinda old.The Chaparral is in amazing condition needing mostly cleaning.no rips tears or dry rot of any of the interior carpet or wood engine is 4,3 Merc and looks like it was well cared for the finish is still very nice,stainless 3 blade prop cuddy is almost perfect except for the carpeting coming down in spots but not torn or stained.They are firm at 5500 out the door.it was serviced and comes with a warranty that starts when I splash the boat.The bad is I have to buy the USCG stuff,fenders etc and it has no bimini or mooring cover with it.The boat has sweet lines and I really like it.I was trying to get it at 5k out the door but they wont go any lower.What the hell should I do????

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You mentioned some bad experiences with the dealer that has the Regal and also that you love the cuddy cabin style so, the Chaparral may be the way to go. Whatever you end up getting, do your homework before buying and I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy.

jak1

Cadet
I have ruled out the Regal since I plan on using the boat in the chesapeake and I dont think a 17 bowrider would do it

jak1

Cadet
I have ruled out any bowriders and have looked and called everywhere.Even had one dealer tell me my budget of 5-6k would only get me a ragged out boat that needed a new motor or interior redone.His advice was to spend at least 10k.From all the boats I have looked at I keep coming back to the Chaparral 205 SL Limited for 5500 out the door.The main work that would need done is me compounding/buffing and removing old stripes and bottom paint.Dealer tells me all gauges will work,cleats nice and tite motor/outdrive serviced and 30 day warranty when I splash her.They are a Chaparral dealer and sold the boat new.Already has a stainless prop,brand new spare,galvanized trailer.all in all looks like the one.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jak1, I guess the only real thing is if you like it and have surveyed the hull for any issues. If you like it and the price is right, then go for it. Nobody else can make that decision but you. JMHO!

jak1

Cadet
if the wife gets home soon we are going to survey her again super close .We have already established putting in the headliner will be a really crappy job probably taking the whole weekend.we shall see I love the lines on her very sleek looking

jak1

Cadet
put the deposit on the chaparral this morning! Pick her up on friday 2/19 as long as everything looks good

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats!

It is going to be a long week for you. I went through the same thing in December and it drove me crazy. I couldn't actually put down a deposit though. I just agreed on the price Monday morning (pending inspection) and then had to wait until Friday to get to the boat to go over it and drag her home. It drove me crazy. Thankfully you have a deposit down though. I was buying from an individual and terrified the whole time that somebody would beat my offer and I'd be out of luck!

Either way the wait is torture, or at least it was for me.