Marine Surveyor question

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

Not sure where to put this or if there is a proper category for this, if I'm wrong mods please move it. I am looking into marine surveying as a career, but I'm not sure what to do in regards to training. Apprenticeship is of course a option but I think finding someone willing to create possible competition would a long shot. That leaves Lloyd's of London distance learning, NAVtech or IIMS. All of these are online courses that seemed to be recognized and respected but since there is no formal licensing on a state or national level in the US (that I am aware of) what route would you recommend to a total beginner? I'm stuck because they all offer pretty much the same things and the costs are all within a few hundred dollars. Just don't know where to go. Anyone on here in the business that could offer me some advice?

64osby

Admiral
http://www.beaconmarinesurveyor.com/packages.html

This surveyor lives very close to me and I have talked with him several times. You can see the qualifications that he lists on his site.

He is retired from a couple of careers and this is what I would call part time work for him. IIRC he charges $250 for an inspection within about 3 hours drive and boats under 24'.