MSRP vs actual price

Gloryrolls

Recruit
I come from the motor home world but have just retired to a lake in Arkansas and am in the market for a boat. My question is this, when you shop for a new motor home you can automatically deduct 25% or so off the MSRP. Does the same apply for boats? I know this is a broad question, but I would like to hear from some of you regarding you're experiences.

BTW we are looking at a pontoon in the 50 to 60k range.

Thanks!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Not usually that much. The dealer has a profit margin of about 15-20% that he must maintain to stay in business. And that doesn't include the motor. At 50-60K you're probably putting a nice powerplant on her. You'd be amazed at how little a dealer makes on an outboard.

thumpar

Admiral
My guess would be that you could cut 10% on a good day. The best deals are at boat shows or a store that is having what they call a boat show. Don't be shy of buying used. My girlfriend's parents have a Bennington that is 10 years old and looks brand new. I would go a couple years old and slap the biggest motor that the thing is rated for on the back rather than spend a ton of money on a new boat and have to skimp on the motor.

tpenfield

Staff member
This site may help

http://www.seedealercost.com/

But the short answer to your question is yes, there is a bit of mark-up of MSRP versus what things sell for . Smaller/lower priced boats tend to have less margin or mark-up, but as you go bigger there is quite a bit 30% and more.