Deck lounging on express cruiser

jayfalz

Recruit
We are very excited for our first season with a cruiser. We are considering ways to utilize the deck on the bow of the boat comfortably. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with either those foldable, adjustable, loungers, like from west marine, or maybe those bean bag types?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi, and welcome to iboats.

You don't say what type of cruiser you have, or if the bow has a large enough flat surface to lounge on safely. Large cruisers with a long, level bow area can accommodate lounging (as in, lying down) pads that snap to the bow to keep them in place. If you don't already have them, you'd have to make them.

I would never put upright seating on the bow of a boat. If a wake rocks the boat and the seat tips, you go overboard. For that same reason, riding on the bow (whether sitting or lying down) while underway is strictly illegal.

My .02

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see pictures and video of people on the front of boats without actual attached seats while the boat is in motion all of the time (OK, music videos and movies, the lake I frequent has a 22' limit so that isn't something I actually see personally) and it makes me extremely nervous no matter how big the area is. It only takes one slip to completely change the lives of everybody aboard.

jayfalz

Recruit
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the safety concerns. The boat is a 34 ft express cruiser. No one would ever be up there outside of being anchored or during long no wake zones. And Im not looking for seats with legs. More like those folding chairs with just a seat and a back rest, and or a bean bag.

StitchSC

Cadet
We have a regal 2665 and use the WM loungers at anchor. Our deck slops(roll) just a bit which actually makes those things kinda awkward. I think a bean bag would be better. We generally just throw a blanket down....easier to store and you get the same roll.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Our 34 had a pad on itbig enough for two people and we rarely planed out

JoLin

Vice Admiral
No one would ever be up there outside of being anchored or during long no wake zones..

I repeat, nobody is allowed to ride on the bow when the boat is underway, regardless of how slowly it's moving. If somebody goes over, there's no way you'll stop the props before they potentially chop 'em. The only exception to the rule is when docking/mooring/rafting up, when you need somebody up there to handle lines. That person should always wear a PFD until the boat is secured.

My .02

Last edited:

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
I repeat, nobody is allowed to ride on the bow when the boat is underway, regardless of how slowly it's moving. If somebody goes over, there's no way you'll stop the props before they potentially chop 'em. The only exception to the rule is when docking/mooring/rafting up, when you need somebody up there to handle lines. That person should always wear a PFD until the boat is secured.

My .02

Excuse the ignorance but where I boat I see big boats (entering yatch territory) with people on the bow when underway. Is there a difference in the rules regarding size of the boat?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My .02
Nah, that's more than just 2 cents.

That's what is taught in the boating safety courses. In my neck of the woods, the marine patrol will give you a ticket. Even if you didn't take the course, or you don't have a marine patrol, its just common sense.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Excuse the ignorance but where I boat I see big boats (entering yatch territory) with people on the bow when underway. Is there a difference in the rules regarding size of the boat?
Yes, there is a difference.

If you have a huge yacht that's worth megabucks, or especially if you have an 80mph gofast, all rules are nullified and you can do whatever you want.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, there is a difference.

If you have a huge yacht that's worth megabucks, or especially if you have an 80mph gofast, all rules are nullified and you can do whatever you want.

I live in Miami so I guess the money part makes sense lol. But in all seriousness, it's all illegal anyways then right?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just love misinformation...

It (as usual) depends on the state laws. Here's the Utah Law:
Improperly Riding on the Bow, Gunwales or Transom is allowing passengers
to ride on the bow decking, gunwales, transom, seatbacks, or motor cover of a
motorized vessel while underway at greater than a slow - wakeless (idle) speed,
unless the vessel is at least 16 feet in length and equipped with adequate rails
or other safeguards to prevent a person from falling overboard.

Passengers may ride on the bow of a vessel, except on Lake Powell, if they straddle
an upright support on the rail and do not block the operator’s view.

Did you read that closely? Even on plane it's legal, as long as the boat's 16+ feet long and has 'adequate railing'.
At wakeless speed, sit wherever you want.

---I'm not saying it's safe, but it IS legal, at least in Utah (except on Powell obviously)

And here's a link to "Utah: The Legal Requirements of Boating" that I'm quoting...
https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/ut_law.pdf

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I live in Miami so I guess the money part makes sense lol. But in all seriousness, it's all illegal anyways then right?
Yes, its illegal.

Pardon my sarcasm. It stems from what I see every time out. The rich boaters seem to have no respect for any boat that doesn't cost as much as theirs. I see little fishing boats almost get run over all the time by gofasts doing 60 mph. Whats even worse is that as they go by, the marine patrol will turn their heads in the other direction. But just let a jetski go by and they will get stopped for sure so they can check to be sure he has a licence.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The only difference has to do with whether or not there's an enclosed (as in, below the gunwales) seating area up there. Rules for commercial vessels and 'big' yachts could be different but I honestly don't know. As for boats big enough to be considered to be in 'yacht territory', well, my 26' Carver is 'yacht rated', which means it's up to the the captain to decide what the safe passenger and weight capacities are. And no, I am not permitted to carry passengers on the bow.

So, let's concentrate on your situation. It is illegal for YOU to carry passengers on the bow of your boat when it's underway. What the other knuckleheads are doing has nothing to do with it.

My .02

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
How flat is the bow? I would recommend getting sun pads that snap down to the bow if you can accommodate them, otherwise just use a towels / blankets. My 33' express doesn't easily accommodate the sun pads because it's so rounded and I'm jealous of our friends that have them. I would spend the money if I could make it work.

As for the safety / legality of riding on the bow, check your local regulations. In Missouri it's legal as long as you have proper hand rails.

jayfalz

Recruit
In Minnesota it is legal with an adequate railing, which I have. I have enough room on each side of the hatchlights to accommodate a person lounging lengthwise bow to stern, but there is just enough slope side to side to make it awkward. I like the sun pad idea though. Could maybe have them custom made to accommodate the pitch and then Velcro them down. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In Nevada, you are not allowed to be on the bow if it is not designed for seating.

In California the law states: Riding on the Bow or Gunwales is allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwales, or any other place where there is a danger of falling overboard, or in a position or manner that is obviously dangerous. This provision does not apply to a vessel’s crew when anchoring or mooring, or in the necessary management of a sail.

What I have found at Lake Tahoe which is in both states is that you will always get pulled over for having people on the bow. Same goes for Big Bear Lake(California) where I also boat.

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
In Minnesota it is legal with an adequate railing, which I have. I have enough room on each side of the hatchlights to accommodate a person lounging lengthwise bow to stern, but there is just enough slope side to side to make it awkward. I like the sun pad idea though. Could maybe have them custom made to accommodate the pitch and then Velcro them down. Thanks.

I have seen several custom ones that accommodate the slope. More foam towards the outside and then they taper in. The look kind of odd but the seem to work fine. Not cheap though, that foam is pricey! My friends that have them use them constantly though.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That slope is what makes it dangerous. An emergency maneuver or taking a large wake can send someone rolling off the bow. I hope you'll heed the warnings against actually riding up there while the boat is moving, even at no wake speed. It may be legal in your state, but it's still dangerous- which is why it's ILLEGAL in so many others. Every year, passengers are severely injured or killed by coming into contact with spinning propellers.

If you have custom pads made, avoid Velcro. It doesn't hold up well when constantly exposed to weather. It loses its 'stick-ability' and looks ugly. Make snap-down pads instead. Good luck!

My .02

Last edited:

RGrew176

Commander
I just love misinformation...

It (as usual) depends on the state laws. Here's the Utah Law:

Did you read that closely? Even on plane it's legal, as long as the boat's 16+ feet long and has 'adequate railing'.
At wakeless speed, sit wherever you want.

---I'm not saying it's safe, but it IS legal, at least in Utah (except on Powell obviously)

And here's a link to "Utah: The Legal Requirements of Boating" that I'm quoting...
https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/ut_law.pdf

It may be legal in Utah, but is it wise, prudent or safe to do so. I would never allow it on my boat even if legal to do so.