Storing a Pontoon Boat

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in process of building a garage. I would like to know what size garage door would be needed to fit a 24' Pontoon boat in? It has a collapsible Aluminum hard top. I think an 8' high x 10' wide would do the trick, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm trying to steer clear of double width doors. I originally wanted to go 10' x 10' but then I have to have 12' walls.
Thanks for any help in advance!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What is wrong with double width doors?

also, you may want to measure the pontoon boat your looking at. Many are at 102", however some are a bit wider

a 10' door opening is about 9'-9" with the brick moulding.

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was only asking because I'm at work right now and cant get a measurement.
The floor is 8' wide and the Toons are smallish. It's an '87, I think the Toons are 19"?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Why is it you want to avoid the double width doors? Seems the would be a much better choice for the boat anyways.

Ksmith0110

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why is it you want to avoid the double width doors? Seems the would be a much better choice for the boat anyways.

I'm already putting 3 doors on the garage, I'm trying to avoid the expense.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
half the mounting hardware and a 50% increase in door cost is actually less expensive for a double width door vs two single, wide widths unless I am missing something.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you can, build it with something wider than an 8' door. Makes it a lot easier to get wide things in and out. My 250 Sundancer fit under a 10' door.

jkust

Rear Admiral
A garage is one of those things that I would seriously consider spending the extra if for no other reason than to future proof it. You can't get a decent sized boat under an 8 foot door is for example you wanted to switch back over to a larger cruiser.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Well for some reason I can't get in to edit my other post. I see your already planning to build it with a 10' wide door. Good. If your top is collapsable I don't know why you'd have to go as high as 10'. My 250 snuck under a 10' and you can see it next to the 'toon for comparison. Also if you have a scissors trailer like I did that also allows you to lower the boat to a point, to get it under a door. That may or may not be an option for you.

jkust brings up a good point. My garage wasn't hardly done and the ex decided she wanted a pontoon so I'm glad I built it a lot bigger than what I needed at the time. Beside who complains they have too much garage space?

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I have a 10' high door and have wished it was 14' several times... Granted I have bigger stuff than most people but I wouldn't even consider 8' walls n doors. IMHO of course

I have heard hundreds of people say they wished they had built the shop bigger but have never even heard of anyone saying they built it too big.

My advice is to build as big as you can afford... Might seem expensive but will be much much more expensive to make it bigger later.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A 14' high door will be high enough to park anything legal in in case you want to put a camper in some day. My doors are 12' which most things will fit in. I have one bay that I have to make a right angle to back in and at 12' wide I still get out of the truck a couple times to check clearances when backing in. My shop is 20' wide to allow for storage and benches on the sides and still have room to work on the side of trailers. If I had it to do over I would have made it 30' wide so I could have my truck with my tools alongside what I am working on. All barns are too narrow, too and short and just not long enough.