Something To Waste Time On During Winter Downtime

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Man is a dreamer and tinkerer. Always looking for ways to improve something or come up with a way to do something that hasn't been done before or make it more practical. The Amphicar, a boat and car in one or flying cars and the Terrafugia currently in development are examples.

Brook Stevens was such a man. He was one of the most prolific industrial designers of the past. His Harleys, trains, cars, OMC outboards, even the original Oscar Meyer Weinermobile were cutting edge. His association with OMC in 1970 lead to design of the Evinrude Lakester., half car and half boat Unfortunately he Lakester never made it into production like so many ideas, but it's still an interesting concept. Somehow the 50 HP Rude outboard powered both the boat and the car. One problem to overcome was how do you clear the ramp and back down during launch and retrieve when the car power plant is floating on the boat. :noidea:

lakester.PNG

Click on the Lakester photo for more info at Mac's Motor City Garage. BTW - Mac's is an interesting site for current auto news and events, along with cars from the past and Motor City auto related history.

southkogs

Staff member
Didn't know he did that ... Stevens also designed the Studebaker Hawk and several Harleys.

GA_Boater

Recognize this one? :joyous: miller.PNG

Here is a 3 part Tumblr write up that talks about all he did. The total is mind boggling. Part 2 talks about his use of the "planned obsolescence" term and it's different than what most of us think. Tumblr Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I knew about the Miller logo, and the Wienermobile for Oscar Meyer. The articles got me on several others though ... need to do some reading on this dude again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Still on the subject, the three guys on "Top Gear" were asked to make boats out of production cars. One mounted a 115HP OB on the tailgate of a pickup truck. One converted a European camper (Sorta like a Volkswagen microbus), by adding a prop drive. The third made a sailboat out of a Triumph Sportscar.

They had a race over land to a large river and then across the river. First to arrive, still floating was the winner. Next time it snows, you might punch it up. Looks to be season 8 episode 3.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
way cool car/boat! I think an i/o might be a better concept? - small block or big, depending on how wild and crazy you want to be :lol:

GA_Boater

^^^^^ the lame History Channel version did the type of thing in Season 4 (2013/14 and final season. :pray:), Episode 6. Don't remember all the details, but it had something to do with crossing one of the Great Lakes. HC doesn't have the shows online anymore, only on iTunes and Amazon.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
final season :lol: something to be grateful for with a lot of shows

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There was a man from Cuba who twice made it to Florida in converted motor vehicles only to be sent back both times.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my brother skipped a 1973 Buick 225 down the boat ramp and about 30' from shore before it sunk........ it didnt float. It also didnt run on what was in the tank after that. however pulled it out with the tractor, drained the motor sump and fuel tank, put in fresh fluids and gas, and had the car running again a few hours later.

I have been to the Brooks Stevens design center a few times for work related projects as well as a few college trips over 25 years ago.