Good sealant

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Basshound 10.2 two man boat that has a live well,the thru the hull drain in bottom of the live well needs to be re-sealed because that's where I'm thinking the boats taking in water. I probably dumped out at least 2 gallons of water after my last fishing trip. Boat is garage kept so it's not outside in the rain, I was wondering if the 3M 5200 would be the best thing to use to seal this thru the hull drain? I've never used 3M 5200 before and didn't know how it works with ABS plastic boats.`

Thanks

Tony

robert graham

Admiral
ABS/PVC plastics are very slick and can be challenging to seal/repair.....but I understand it can be carefully heated and "welded" with an ABS rod and a heat gun..... Maybe research this process and give it a try.....

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about, I don't need to repair a crack or anything, I was just wondering if the 3M 5200 would work ok re-sealing the drain plug in the live well? It's a thru the hull drain on the bottom of the boat and I didn't know how good the 5200 would adhere to the ABS plastic especially on the bottom of the boat. Maybe just 100% silicone would work the best I don't know.

Tony

Attachments

• photo237281.jpg
    photo237281.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237282.jpg
    photo237282.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237283.jpg
    photo237283.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237284.jpg
    photo237284.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237285.jpg
    photo237285.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
O.K.,I see what you're doing in the photos...you can always try some silicone inside and outside...see how it does. It might stick better if you rough up the surfaces with some sandpaper...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Tony, I am not sure 5200 would stick to the plastic. However, it would conform to the contour and shape of the drain fixture and therefore make a great gasket type seal. So I would try and see. The worst it could do is not seal and you would see that pretty quickly. So go for it. And you could try this idea of you like. Coat the threads and drain fixture with the 5200 and install and tighten. But lightly tighten. Then after a few days, tighten it all the way. The 5200 then compresses and creates a better gasket type seal. JMHO!

airshot

Rear Admiral
On plastic boats and that type of plastic material I have had my best success with "GOOP". Whether marine or electrical or general purpose I believe it is all the same material. Originally designed to repair tennis shoes, this stuff works wonders on most everything I have used it on. When my home was built 16 years ago the last piece of trim siding at the very peak of the roofline was attached with goop and has never came off thru 16 seasons of 100 degree high temps to -15 below zero.
Most hardware depts. have this stuff in most all stores.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys thanks for the suggestions, I had never used 3M 5200 before and was curious about it,also I done a little more research on it and from what I understand it is a little more liquid like compared to say a tacky like silicone. I may try the GOOP or go with a good quality silicone.

Thanks

Tony

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd use 4200 instead myself. leave the fitting in, use masking tape around the outside of the flange, remove the fitting and clean up old sealant, lightly scuff the area. goop it up and install it. You will have no more issues.5200 is more permeant, where 4200 can be removed more easily in the future if the fitting needs replacement.

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I built myself a radio cooler last year, and had to install a wall to separate the electronics from the cooler side. I couldn't get anything to seal up on the plastic around the wall until I used 5200. That stuff is obviously insanely strong once dry and seals off very well. Keep in mine that I was sealing cracks instead a hole. If all else fails, you could always lay a small piece of plastic over the hole and use 5200 around it instead. Like Grub said, it's permanent for sure.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks for the info on the 5200 and the 4200, skydiveD30571 I'm not trying to cover up that hole I'm just re-installing the thru the hull live well drain and was looking for a good sealant. I may do a little research on the 4200 now since I know it can be more easily removed if need to be..

Thanks

Tony

Scubadon

Cadet
5200 works great but is definitely for permanent applications, 4200 works great and would be a better choice than silicone and you can take it apart if you needed to later down the road. They all have a caulking consistency.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you put 5200 on the threads of the thru-fitting, you will never get the nut back off.

Fed

Commander
Whatever you use you should only put it on the flange of the inner fitting.

EricJay

Cadet
I used 5200 on my current project and on others before this and found it will stick to most surfaces well if you scuff sand first. I had good experience getting it to hold onto plastics if you can apply from both sides so it can adhere to itself like a plug. I am not a fan of silicone and do not recommend it.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
3M also introduced the 4000 sealer. This is what I would use if I were in your place. The reason being that it would give me the sealing properties I need withoyt the hassel of removing it in case I need to replace the fitting.

3M 4000 has the least tensile strength compared to 5200, 4200 but because the fitting is mechnically fastened with a plastic nut, I would worry to much about that.
4200 will also work, it will just give a little bit of a work out if for any reason you need to undo it. 5200 will give you a hell of a hard time to undo it and most likely you will need to break the fitting and use a sharp blade to cut the sealant.God luck

Last edited:

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still have not sealed it up yet ,had other projects to take care of,but I bought some 3M 4200 for the job and if I'm not mistaken I read that you need to pretty much use it all or next time you need it the 4200 will be dried up. At roughly $10 bucks for a little tube of the 4200 I returned it and I've about decided to clean the area real good and try just 100% silicone.

Tony

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good luck with the Silly-Cone!!! I'm pretty sure it won't adhere well to the ABS plastic and you'll be leaking again in the very near future!!! There's a good Reason the 3M products cost more money.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
If it was mine I'd look in the plumbing section of my local hardware store for an appropriately sized rubber washer.

Ned L

Commander
What everyone else recommended , and I would stay away from 'silicon' type products as silicon does not adhere very well (esp. To PE).

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys I know your just looking out for my best interest and I can be hard headed at times and a tight wad lol. So I"ll clean the area real good and forget about the silly cone ha ha :D. I noticed that in the rear of the little boat the drain plug sealant was a white color I wonder if the manufacture used 3M 5200 or 4200 on that. I may just try and contact them and ask. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Tony