Teak? Interior Maintenance

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dave, that looks incredible! I think I have my plan of what to do now :)

My dad was a 1st Cavalry member and served in Vietnam, that's why I asked. Thank you for your service!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Nam is where I was with the 1st Cav also. Interesting place to be! :eek:

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Nam is where I was with the 1st Cav also. Interesting place to be! :eek:
I think my dad would say the same thing: interesting :)

Here is a picture of the ski locker. It's actually in slightly better shape than I thought. I grabbed some 220 grit paper I had laying around and it seemed to clean up quite nicely. I think I will need to disassemble it to get into everything like I want.

Attachments

• photo237387.jpg
    photo237387.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 0

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I think my dad would say the same thing: interesting :)

Here is a picture of the ski locker. It's actually in slightly better shape than I thought. I grabbed some 220 grit paper I had laying around and it seemed to clean up quite nicely. I think I will need to disassemble it to get into everything like I want.

That did clean up pretty good. Good idea to disassemble it and get to the sides. What I did on my teak was put the 4-6 coats on. Then one more coat each day for a week. Then a coat once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. Then a coat once a year. Lots of work for the first month, but not too bad after that.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That did clean up pretty good. Good idea to disassemble it and get to the sides. What I did on my teak was put the 4-6 coats on. Then one more coat each day for a week. Then a coat once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. Then a coat once a year. Lots of work for the first month, but not too bad after that.
Thanks, this helps quite a bit. Believe it or not, that picture was pre sanding. It definitely needed/needs some sanding, but it won't take much. It is really going to be more of a touch up. The good news is that I have time right now, so I can add the oil as you did until it's perfect. Should be good for awhile, it doesn't get a lot of sunlight unless we're out on it. Otherwise she's tucked away safe and sound. My wife claims I take better care of the boat than her. I disagree.....kind of ;)

CaptainMax

Cadet
Good morning everyone! I see everyone talking about Teak wood and maintaining it, which is where my question lies:

I have a Teak Step off the back of my wakeboard boat. The step sits approx 1 or 2 inches underwater when the boat is in water. NOTE: I leave my boat slipped in water for about 6 months out of the year straight. What can I use to protect the wood? Here are some things I've heard:

1) Do NOT sand the wood. It will make it slippery when it goes back in the water
2) Regular Oil and Sealer is not what I'm looking for

I guess what I'm saying is: What product do I use to protect Teak wood that will be submerged in water for 6 months straight, and secondly, how do I apply it, and what steps should I take to apply it?

Thank you everyone in advance for all the help!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Last winter I did all the Teak on a 28 foot Grew. I first removed a small piece of trim as a test piece. I just sanded with 80 then 100 then 120 and tack raged. A trick I learned years ago from a furniture refinisher was to wet the wood to open the pours. Wipe off immediately and let dry really well. I did that before sanding. After all the sanding I applied several coats of Marine Spar varnish until I could see myself in the wood. A light sand of 200 between each coat of varnish and tack rag, a light sand and do the whole piece or as said above the finish won't be the same colour. For the swim platform I didn't sand every time in between the slats just the top and sides, I did want to be done this decade. It took a few coats to start to get a sheen. It tuned out like new, I think better than new.

The swim platform hadn't even been cleaned well I bet since new 35 years ago. As it was in the middle of winter I took that to a car wash and power washed it clean of crud and mold. It turned out just like Chief Petty Officers above. The customer is very happy with it. The customer being one of my dearest friends owes me big time.

I always tell anyone that will listen when you think the varnish is dry let it go another 24 hours. Also take pictures of the door hatches to the cabin before you take it off, helps putting it back on. And mark every piece of lumber so it goes back to were it once came. Don't cheap out and buy new stainless screws. Slightly larger than the old screws to get a good bite.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good morning everyone! I see everyone talking about Teak wood and maintaining it, which is where my question lies:

I have a Teak Step off the back of my wakeboard boat. The step sits approx 1 or 2 inches underwater when the boat is in water. NOTE: I leave my boat slipped in water for about 6 months out of the year straight. What can I use to protect the wood? Here are some things I've heard:

1) Do NOT sand the wood. It will make it slippery when it goes back in the water

I guess what I'm saying is: What product do I use to protect Teak wood that will be submerged in water for 6 months straight, and secondly, how do I apply it, and what steps should I take to apply it?

You better sand the wood or you will be sealing crud into it when you seal it. For a platform that is totally submerged for 6 months a man made material like fiberglass or any polymer, would be better than any organic material. I bet Trex decking would work well and it's non slip wet, it's supposed to be as it's used on residential decks and pool surrounds. Having said that there are many wooden boats in the water. But they take maintenance. For a non slip surface paint a non slip surface paint on the top of the finished wood.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

You really need to start your own thread. Hijacking someone else's thread is frowned upon.

CaptainMax

Cadet
I meant no harm by hijacking a thread. Please excuse my amateur forum behavior. In other forums that I've been on in the past, it was frowned upon to start a thread if a similar one already existed. This thread seemed to be fairly close to my issue, and so I proceeded to ask my question. In complete honesty, I am sorry, and had no intention on "hijacking" a thread. My apologies to the original poster, and anyone I may have offended.

jbcurt00

Staff member
CaptMax,
Its a matter of forum policy. So other forums may do it differently, and is often a decision left to the moderators to determine. Dont put too much weight on the term hijack, its used because when it happens, it often redirects a topic into/onto a new topic, possibly unrelated to the original topic.

IMO, you asked about exterior teak, submerged for 6mo +/- per year. This is a Teak, Interior Maintenance topic, so although both are teak questions, it really isnt that similar, and likely to need different amounts of maintaining. So it should be separate.

It happens, some days often, other days not at all. No apologies are necessary, simply try to avoid it. Same as we ask of avoiding posting to topics that have been inactive for more then 90days.

I'll work on getting this moved to a topic about your swim platform and hope that you get some helpful replies.
Thanks

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to dredge up old topics, hopefully this is still in the range of acceptable "old threads being revived". However, I know I love seeing before and after photos of people's work, along with product reviews. So here is mine. I do have a small before photo posted above, here is an after photo. I'll try to post one fully assembled later. However, after some light sanding and using Starbrite Oil and Sealer, I have to say I am really really happy. I think I may do it again next year, but I may sand a little deeper to get more of the nicks and gouges smoothed over, depends on how it looks after a season's use I suppose.

Before: http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/burtonrider11/media/IMG_3102_zpsuy8o0qky.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

After: http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/burtonrider11/media/IMG_3104_zpsgn6zrx9x.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I actually applied a second coat after the picture was taken a few weeks later and I think it looks amazing overall. Thanks again for the help and advice offered above!