Teak? Interior Maintenance

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, looking for some info/advice on some maintenance I'd like to do to our boat in the off season. We have a 1997 Starcraft 2010SS. Interior is in good shape overall, but like any boat could use a little TLC. I want to clean the ski locker cover which is made of wood. I am making the assumption that it is teak. If anyone can tell me for sure if it is or not, I would greatly appreciate it. I would also appreciate any tips or hints on products and methods to clean and seal this wood.

Also, we have carpeting in our boat (not snap in, it's permanent) and I'd like to give that a real nice deep clean. Does anyone have any carpet shampoo or other products/methods they recommend to give boat carpet a good cleaning?

Thanks in advance!

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am not sure how to tell whether it is Teak or not, but in probably does not matter. Any hardwood can be cleaned and then oiled. I do it every year in my Pursuit.
You can use any good quality Teak oil.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not sure how to tell whether it is Teak or not, but in probably does not matter. Any hardwood can be cleaned and then oiled. I do it every year in my Pursuit.
You can use any good quality Teak oil.

Thanks! Any that you recommend? I saw some at Menards that seemed like it would do the trick. I can't imagine there is much difference between regular teak oil and "marine" teak oil.

Also, if it matters, our boat gets used pretty much 1 every two weeks. When not in use, it sits in covered storage, so sun exposure is minimal....

thumpar

Admiral
On my old boat that had a teak locker cover and platform I used a teak restore. It is just a liquid you can brush on. I couldn't believe the difference. This was on a 30 year old boat and the teak turned out looking brand new.

jjuriga

Recruit
I am refinishing all of the teak on my V-20 as we speak. I sanded everything off with 80G, then moved on to 120G. Light wash, rinse and dry. Then Interlux 216, then a 220G sand, then another Interlux 216... then the teak oil. I am using Sikkens Cetol Marine, and I couldn't be happier so far. I am getting ready to 600G sand the first coat and repeat for the recommended three coats.

IMG_4496.jpgIMG_4490.jpgIMG_4495.jpg

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am refinishing all of the teak on my V-20 as we speak. I sanded everything off with 80G, then moved on to 120G. Light wash, rinse and dry. Then Interlux 216, then a 220G sand, then another Interlux 216... then the teak oil. I am using Sikkens Cetol Marine, and I couldn't be happier so far. I am getting ready to 600G sand the first coat and repeat for the recommended three coats.

Wow! That looks awesome, thanks for sharing. I am not sure that I am going to go that far into it. I am thinking a light sand, some oil and then perhaps some varnish. Since our boat isn't in the sun that much and this section of the boat is exposed even less, I am thinking a good cleaning and oiling should take care of it. If not, then I'll add some steps :)

Volphin

Lieutenant
I have a huge teak swim platform, side step pads and a ski locker cover. I used to use a teak cleaner and oil. Every darn year! Then I tried StarBrite Tropical Teak Oil Sealer. Lasts for 5 years plus. You just clean or sand the teak, brush it on with a foam brush and let it dry. I usually go with a second coat. Best stuff I've ever used.

Mod EDIT: Please remember iboats, the host of this free forum, is a retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

Little hard to see in this pic, but I acquired a boat table that was being scrapped along with the stands. I needed a base so I also acquired some teak and holly sole from the same boat. Made the base out of it, and bordered it with maple. 7 coats of uv resistant vynalester, Wetsanded between each coat, then automotive clear coat over the ester.Wetsanded and polished! Now to refinish the top the same way......

Attachments

• photo237269.jpg
    photo237269.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 0

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Teak is meant to be maintained, not finished. Whatever you do, OMG, don't varnish it unless you want to start a lifetime of work. Once you've used Amazon Teak Oil you won't try another brand.

Oh yes. IBoats sells it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Agreed on the varnishing. In my case it was varnished but beat up. It was an interior floor piece, and I've seen many that are shiny and nice. I've also seen a lot of exterior teak varnished.... Not good. it takes constant work to keep it looking pretty on an exterior surface. teak oil is the only way to go.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so no varnishing :) Looks like right now, I am going to do a light sanding on it as it isn't terribly grey. Add some teak oil and voila, I'm done. At least I hope that's how it works....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Okay so no varnishing :) Looks like right now, I am going to do a light sanding on it as it isn't terribly grey. Add some teak oil and voila, I'm done. At least I hope that's how it works....
For now, yep.

Re apply teak oil as needed to maintain

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
It may take 4-6 coats of teak oil for it to soak in real good. Put a coat on, wait an hour +/-and put on another coat. Keep doing that until the oil stops soaking in.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If its grey already you won't like the look after oiling it. If you want a golden brown color (like it should be) you need to clean / bleach it first, as was mentioned before. Then, oil it. Also, I wouldn't sand it unless its gouged or damaged, because the sanded parts won't match the unsanded parts.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It may take 4-6 coats of teak oil for it to soak in real good. Put a coat on, wait an hour +/-and put on another coat. Keep doing that until the oil stops soaking in.
Thanks Dave. I have lots of time - even though it's been a mild winter, its still winter in Michigan. I'll try to pull it in the next few days and take some before photos so people can see what I am working with...

Are you a former 1st Cav member?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Dave. I have lots of time - even though it's been a mild winter, its still winter in Michigan. I'll try to pull it in the next few days and take some before photos so people can see what I am working with...

Are you a former 1st Cav member?

Sure am... long time ago.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
This is how my previous boats teak platform started and finished. Sanded with 40, then 80, then 120 grit.
SWIMPLATFORM1_zpsc285348c.jpg

DURING3_zpse189296e.jpg

AFTER2_zps96e77a3e.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As far as the carpet, i'm assuming its a bowrider or has a small cuddy. I just wet my bowrider carpet, spritz a little car wash soap, and scrub with a deckbrush, then rinse and rinse, and rinse some more till the soap is gone. put in the sun and let dry thourghly. Maby others have methods, but that's what I do.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As far as the carpet, i'm assuming its a bowrider or has a small cuddy. I just wet my bowrider carpet, spritz a little car wash soap, and scrub with a deckbrush, then rinse and rinse, and rinse some more till the soap is gone. put in the sun and let dry thourghly. Maby others have methods, but that's what I do.
Thanks Grubs, we have a Bissell Clean machine, but that might be too small to cover that much area. The Bissell is made for stains and spot clean up. Thanks for the heads up!