boat to do salt and fresh water

old fart 66

Recruit
I'm new to the Nature Coast of Florida and would like a boat large enough to go about 5 miles out but small enough to use in the local lakes and rivers. Can anyone help with suggestions of size and horsepower?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Check your Private Message by clicking on the Message box on top of the page.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

I would be looking for a 19-21 foot bow rider. however you will need to watch the weather when going 5 miles out.

HP will depend on what you need to use the boat for. I personally like I/O's. my 19' searay had 220hp and that was almost enough for my needs.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
21' dual console with a 150-200HP outboard will be the best compromise, IMHO. The dual console style boat gives much more protection from the weather than does a center console. I use one in the shallow bay and deep ocean for clamming and fishing. Bowriders are acceptable as well. Walkarounds are pretty cramped for fishing, IMO.

Any boat larger will be an issue in shallow water lakes and rivers. Any boat smaller will be an issue in the ocean. You will obviously still want to restrict your ocean trips to calm days.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hmmm... I wouldn't even consider anything without a self bailing deck for 5 miles out in the ocean...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
How do you plan to use the boat, fishing, cruising, water sports, number of people, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How do you plan to use the boat, fishing, cruising, water sports, number of people, etc.

exactly.

the intended use of the boat will determine the proper type of boat and motor

there is a lot of skinny water along the cost (heck, its not that deep 5 miles out either).

An outboard can move into a bit skinnier water than an I/O, however if your cruising, etc, I like the I/O. They both will run aground in the ICW.