1997 wellcraft 17' Excel downrigger?

Jhaydeng

Recruit
Hey Everyone,
Brand new to boating and bought a WC 17' excel from a relative. Can it be fitted with two downriggers even though it's s bowrider? If so any brand that stands out? River stripers and Lake Champlain trout and salmon only. No salt water advenrures. Thanks Jay

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rather then hijack his topic, where you asked this, I'll repeat your question here w my reply:
I'm just curious, as an outsider and greenie on boating in general. How much do you figure you have into this project? You know where I'm going, right? Does it make sense fiscally? Thanks!

You are looking at it the wrong way Jhay.

In the end, to sell for more then you have in it, isnt the point. Even if you could, you'd have invested a ton of labor, at no cost.

Its about:
Rebuilding something yourself
Paying for materials as you need them rather then getting a loan for a boat or paying for it all up front

Every rebuild uses a little different amount of money in total. But no matter the final total, w in reason of course, a properly rebuilt boat will be far and away a better boat thats in near perfect condition then any boat could be bought w the same amount of money.

1500, 2500, even $7500 and up boats have been shown to have major problems requiring a full gut. Look thru the resto topics, it happens a lot....

Good luck w your down riggers

Jhaydeng

Recruit
Rather then hijack his topic, where you asked this, I'll repeat your question here w my reply:

You are looking at it the wrong way Jhay.

In the end, to sell for more then you have in it, isnt the point. Even if you could, you'd have invested a ton of labor, at no cost.

Its about:
Rebuilding something yourself
Paying for materials as you need them rather then getting a loan for a boat or paying for it all up front

Every rebuild uses a little different amount of money in total. But no matter the final total, w in reason of course, a properly rebuilt boat will be far and away a better boat thats in near perfect condition then any boat could be bought w the same amount of money.

1500, 2500, even $7500 and up boats have been shown to have major problems requiring a full gut. Look thru the resto topics, it happens a lot....

Good luck w your down riggers

Can you tell this to my wife because that line didn't work! Lol! I understand, but my historical luck is to the contrary! I'm glad I came here because I know the info is legit and not from speculation! Thanks and be safe!

Bondo

Staff member
Can it be fitted with two downriggers even though it's s bowrider?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... You can mount downriggers on a canoe, or an inner-tube if yer creative enough,....

Donno the hull, so pictures will be required,....