Do you remember............

Ned L

Commander
When can buoys were black. (now green)

When you would monitor ?2182? and ?2670? (before there was a ?16?)

When you would hail the marine operator to have them connect you through for a land line phone call.

When someone who engaged in the pastime of boating was a ?Boatman?. A ?boater? was nothing more than a straw hat, and to refer to someone as a ?boater? was to show your lack of knowledge. (Interestingly it was the feminist movement that really drove that change. At least they didn?t change ?man hole covers? to ?people hole covers?. lol )

When operating a boat was ?running? the boat and not ?driving? it. You wouldn?t ?drive? an airplane would you?? You run a boat.

When you used an RDF for navigation and determine your location. ----- And when the USCG maintained the RDF radio beacons.

When the USCG would come to your assistance if you needed a tow or other non emergency aid. (There was no such thing as Sea Tow, you called the USCG)

What others do you remember?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When boats were wood and annual bottom painting was looked forward to each year.

When fiberglass boats were looked down upon because rumor had it they were rot prone.

When the biggest outboard motor was a 75 HP and an 18 foot runabout could actually top 30 mph.

When the inboards at the marina had 90 HP Greys and they were so impressive because they could top 35 mph.

When the guy that owned the 75 OB or the 90 HP IB was the rich guy that owned the business down the street.

When all the Dads on the street had Johhny TD-20s and the family boat was an aluminum 14 footer that was rented at the local livery.

When we had the first boat on the block and all the neighbors were envious - except we had to build it in the garage and the wood kit cost $165.

When there were no gofasts and you could actually have an enjoyable afternoon on the water in a 14 footer with a 10 HP outboard and not have to worry about getting run over.

When everyone we knew took a boating course and read library books on boating before they ventured out on the water.

When rowboats were still being used.

When Mom & Dad "made" the kids wear "life jackets" even though there was no law that required it.

When you needed a licence to operate a VHF radio.

When CB radios were the rage.

When navigation was done with a Loran C.

When the mechanics at the marina were old guys that truly knew what they were talking about.

When most boats were wet slipped in the summer, and if you were a "trailer boater" it meant you rented a trailer twice a year to move the boat from the marina to the back yard.

When the U-Haul dealer rented boat trailers.

When there were magazines that had stories about "family boats" that were affordable by the middle class.

Ned L

Commander
Or "Loran A",... Before there was "Loran C".

And when charts had "TD" lines on them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
What's sad is that someone as old as me can qualify as a youngin... Lol BUT I'LL TAKE IT!!! :-D

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What's sad is that someone as old as me can qualify as a youngin... Lol BUT I'LL TAKE IT!!! :-D
Its all a matter of perspective. When I was in college it was said "Don't trust anybody over 30". Now, those of that era say "Don't trust anybody under 50".

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Its all a matter of perspective. When I was in college it was said "Don't trust anybody over 30". Now, those of that era say "Don't trust anybody under 50".

Don't trust anyone, especially those under 50. :behindsofa: :watermelon:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
When a rubber raft was made of rubber.
When you could anchor and enjoy a quiet cove on a warm summer day without having jerk skis come in just to go around in circles.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
When boats were wood and annual bottom painting was looked forward to each year.

When fiberglass boats were looked down upon because rumor had it they were rot prone.

When the biggest outboard motor was a 75 HP and an 18 foot runabout could actually top 30 mph.

When the inboards at the marina had 90 HP Greys and they were so impressive because they could top 35 mph.

When the guy that owned the 75 OB or the 90 HP IB was the rich guy that owned the business down the street.

When all the Dads on the street had Johhny TD-20s and the family boat was an aluminum 14 footer that was rented at the local livery.

When we had the first boat on the block and all the neighbors were envious - except we had to build it in the garage and the wood kit cost $165.

When there were no gofasts and you could actually have an enjoyable afternoon on the water in a 14 footer with a 10 HP outboard and not have to worry about getting run over.

When everyone we knew took a boating course and read library books on boating before they ventured out on the water.

When rowboats were still being used.

When Mom & Dad "made" the kids wear "life jackets" even though there was no law that required it.

When you needed a licence to operate a VHF radio.

When CB radios were the rage.

When navigation was done with a Loran C.

When the mechanics at the marina were old guys that truly knew what they were talking about.

When most boats were wet slipped in the summer, and if you were a "trailer boater" it meant you rented a trailer twice a year to move the boat from the marina to the back yard.

When the U-Haul dealer rented boat trailers.

When there were magazines that had stories about "family boats" that were affordable by the middle class.

Excellent Sir. BTDT But the boat rented at the livery only had a 7 ? Wizard (Merc produced for Western Auto parts stores). Oliver fits in there somewhere too.....maybe Goodyear tire stores, or was the the blue engine started with a C as I recall.

How about the wooden boat kits? Light weight. Could build a 16ft cabin cruiser and put a 25 OMC on her and take the family out for the day.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Or "Loran A",... Before there was "Loran C".

And when charts had "TD" lines on them.

I used to work on Loran C. 55ea 6AK5 dual triode vacuum tubes and to get out of school you had to find 5 malfunctions and only had one plausible answer per malfunction.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I can remember when Harry took us in "THATS HER" a 36 ft water taxi to the island. Several families and towing 3 or 4 old wood rental boats tended to by Harrys daughter barefoot on the stern. I remember when Harry took us across in a storm with waves breaking over the bow of "THATS HER"With the boat rising over one wave and coming down on the next.Then he would have to cross by himself and put her away.
I remember going through the Lake of the Isles and not meeting another boat.We would jump off the Devels Oven or go through the then derelict Bolt Castle"
Our first boat was a 15 ft "Ocean Going" Thompson with a 5hp Firestone "Stuttering Sam" Followed with a 12 hp Elto by Gale And finally a 14hp thats right
a 14 Evinrude with full gear shift.It had a spark lever and a tiller throttle. It did well against a then new 55, 15 hp Evinrude on a new Barbour boat.
I remember when a big family size motor was a 25 hp.We got by with a 61 18 hp for about 7 years.The Thompson was replaced with a beautiful Chris Craft kit boat. and later an Arkansas Traveler"Glass boat.
A neighbor always had the latest boat and motor.Not fancy just new I remember his last 3 wooden Thompsons These were replaced with 3 Crestliners on or about 57.

thumpar

Admiral
My grandpa got a Loran C for a christmas present from my grandma. I had to show him how to use it. He ended up selling it because it was too complicated unless I was there.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My grandpa got a Loran C for a christmas present from my grandma. I had to show him how to use it. He ended up selling it because it was too complicated unless I was there.

Working on them was one thing. Navigating I surmised was quite another and glad I didn't have to. Besides I didn't have any maps.

Ned L

Commander
Loran "C" would give you actual latitude and longitude to plot your position from. Loran "A" gave you "TD's" from the transmitters (Time Delays). You would get your TD's and then plot your position using the overlaid TD lines on a chart.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The machine I worked on was the AN/APN 70. Funny, I haven't thought of that nomenclature since back in 1959 and today it just popped in my head. I do remember the time delay part and that was the tricky part on the final exam in finding out what tube was bad in the set when viewing the display. So, in retrospect, maybe it was a Loran A. But I also recall Loran Charts required for navigation which would also point to the A rather than C per your comments Ned.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When boat docks were made with steel drums for flotation and used tires for fenders.