Is Starcraft made by Sears or vice versa?

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi boaters!!

I recently purchased to restore a 1963 Sears boat (identified by title, nameplate gone). After doing some research online, the only boats that I can find that seem to even look like mine are Starcraft boats. Are Starcraft and Sears the same?

Looking through old Starcraft catalogs https://www.flickr.com/photos/starcraftbrochures/3918378204/in/album-72157622211915484/ - it seems like this is the Marlin or the Super Duty.

Here is a picture of my boat, if anyone could help confirm what kind it is, thanks.

Attachments

• photo236981.jpg
    photo236981.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236982.JPG
    photo236982.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I may be wrong, but I don't think Starcraft made boats for Sears. And for sure not the other way around.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your boat looks like a richline. Extremely well made and very overrated on the HP rating. The seat bracing is kind of unique to them.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
A better pix n of the stern and the transom end caps might help ID it.

I dont know about Richlines, but I think Starcraft did aupply some Sears branded boats. SeaNymph and Elgin did, so Richline may have too.

The title says Sears boat?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Assorted makers make stuff for sears then put the Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman brand names on.

This is the same with most store brands.

For a long time the majority of Kenmore appliances were made by Whirlpool.

Montgomery Wards used to sell motorcycles with the Wards brand... made by Bennelli.

Sears doesn't manufacture ANYTHING. They contract with other companies to put the brand names on stuff.

But... when its sold as a Sears boat... its a Sears.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, Thanks for the responses!!

Your boat looks like a richline. Extremely well made and very overrated on the HP rating. The seat bracing is kind of unique to them.

- Thanks! I did a quick search of 63 richline boat and I think you nailed it. Will do some more research, but I think you are right. The pics I found have the same seat bracing and the same foot board in the bow. Thanks a ton!!

So you say Richline is very well made? That gives me hope...just went through a rough experience with a poorly made jon.

What do you mean about overrated on the HP rating? I want to put a 15 horse on there, should handle it no problem, huh?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A better pix n of the stern and the transom end caps might help ID it.

I dont know about Richlines, but I think Starcraft did aupply some Sears branded boats. SeaNymph and Elgin did, so Richline may have too.

The title says Sears boat?

Yes sir, the title says Sears...and thats it. After looking at more Richline's...I'm positive that's what this is. Now I need to find more information on the capacity ratings and such...just for my personal information.

Thanks again! Love the forums!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't think your boat started out as what it is. The third seat looks like it could have been in a starcraft at one time and the bow plate looks homemade. My dad has a 14' richline from the late 50s early 60s now my brother has it. That boat is rated for a 40 and was scary with a 25 hp mcculloch on it. He runs a 15 hp Johnson on it now and it runs very well. I think the pic is what your boat used to be.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't think your boat started out as what it is. The third seat looks like it could have been in a starcraft at one time and the bow plate looks homemade. My dad has a 14' richline from the late 50s early 60s now my brother has it. That boat is rated for a 40 and was scary with a 25 hp mcculloch on it. He runs a 15 hp Johnson on it now and it runs very well. I think the pic is what your boat used to be.

Hmmm...that's interesting.

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
looks like the company was around until 1992 this link has info on the company http://www.pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/alum.3/585.html

Hezekiah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
looks like the company was around until 1992 this link has info on the company http://www.pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/alum.3/585.html

Again! Thanks for all of the information you guys have dug out! It's all very helpful.