Fresh Water Flush

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Hi there, quick question for you guys. I was reading a different forum from 2005 and read that it is possible to install a fresh water flush for a inboard engine? My question is, is it possible to install a fresh water hook up on a 7.4L Mercruiser and still be able to flush the engine while it sits in the water with the drive in the water? If so the how do you do it? Can someone direct me to a detailed step by step how to. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used a superflush kit on my last boat (you flush with motor not running). Also installed one on my boss's slip kept boat

You can use it with boat in the water, in a trailer, etc

Mschrouder

Recruit
I'm hoping someone can help with a related question regarding fresh water flushing our Four Winns 4.3L I/O. We have had the boat since new in 1996 without any issue running solely in freshwater in Michigan. We have moved to Pensacola this past year and always launch the boat in one of the freshwater rivers that feed into Pensacola Bay and then the Gulf of Mexico. The trip is about 10 -15 miles down river to the bay (saltwater) and transitions from fresh to brackish and finally salt water. My question is if I always return from a run in salt water by coming up the river through fresh water, should I still flush the I/O and drive? My thinking is by running back through freshwater it better than flushing with cuffs once we get back home. It's also much easier on the trailer. Ant thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'm hoping someone can help with a related question regarding fresh water flushing our Four Winns 4.3L I/O. We have had the boat since new in 1996 without any issue running solely in freshwater in Michigan. We have moved to Pensacola this past year and always launch the boat in one of the freshwater rivers that feed into Pensacola Bay and then the Gulf of Mexico. The trip is about 10 -15 miles down river to the bay (saltwater) and transitions from fresh to brackish and finally salt water. My question is if I always return from a run in salt water by coming up the river through fresh water, should I still flush the I/O and drive? My thinking is by running back through freshwater it better than flushing with cuffs once we get back home. It's also much easier on the trailer. Ant thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hi, Mark. Welcome to iboats. Please read the forum rules. It's considered bad form to hijack another poster's thread. If you have a question of your own, please start a thread of your own.

To briefly answer your question, I would make sure the engine ran for 10-15 minutes in the fresh water before shutting it down. If need be, you can finish with it idling at the ramp while you fetch the trailer.

My .02

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Going to restart this thread.

I know that this question has been asked a lot on the internet but i will ask it again. I have a single 7.4mpi Mercruiser on my SeaRay and i boat in saltwater. The boat sits in the water for 5-6 months at a time and it worries me that i can't flush my engine after every use. There is no doubt that the saltwater will shorten my engines life. I looked into a bunch of perko and other engine flush systems and with my research these plastic flush systems have a high failure rate. Most of these system state that you need to have a seacock in order to flush with the boat in the water and my boat does not. Has anyone made a flushing system with success or are there any other systems out there that will work without a seacock? My boat has a bravo 3 outdrive. Thank You