Chartplotter Alternative

Scott290

Recruit
I made a video on a cheap chartplotter alternative. I do not do much ocean cruising so I wanted a chartplotter but didn't want to spend $1k on one. I bought a cheap tablet and downloaded the navionics app...works great!

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd strongly encourage you to considering adding SeaTow to your app list for your planned trip.

There may be other similar apps as well.

Good luck w your trip

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Scott:

I use that same APP, but on my phone. Some conversation about it HERE. Just be mindful that once you're outta' cell tower range ... you're outta' a lot of the APP's information :)

And it can be a real battery hog, too.

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome aboard Scott:

I use that same APP, but on my phone. Some conversation about it HERE. Just be mindful that once you're outta' cell tower range ... you're outta' a lot of the APP's information :)

I'm not sure how the apple stuff works but on my android if I download the area I'll be traveling in beforehand then it works fine for navigating without cell service.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm not sure how the apple stuff works but on my android if I download the area I'll be traveling in beforehand then it works fine for navigating without cell service.
I think you're correct about that - in terms of navigation. Detail was what I seemed to lose. That said, I was only out of cell service a short bit. I was surprised at how fast it would chew up my battery though.

How does it do on the Android battery?

Alumarine

Captain
I think you're correct about that - in terms of navigation. Detail was what I seemed to lose. That said, I was only out of cell service a short bit. I was surprised at how fast it would chew up my battery though.

How does it do on the Android battery?

Navigation detail was the same with or without cell coverage. Similar to my Chart Plotter.
Maybe I was missing points of interest or something else but there ain't none where I boat, except for the natural ones)

I usually keep my phone plugged in while using it in the boat or car.
I also turn off everything but gps to save power on the boat as I rarely have cell service.

southkogs

Staff member
Navigation detail was the same with or without cell coverage. Similar to my Chart Plotter.
Interesting ... I'll have to play some more. Might be the way MY iPhone works with the App (I've got an older 4)

Thanks.

roffey

Commander
I have the app on my IPhone as well and for sure its a hog on battery. I happen to have a USB port on my boat and can charge the phone as I do my boating. My app works on GPS and not cell service. As far as I know GPS is global. The charts get updated for my phone and use my location for the update so cell service would be required for the download.

Scott290

Recruit
Welcome aboard Scott:

I boat an actual "Chart" today of the waters from Florida to the Bahamas. I wanted to have an old fashion way of plotting my trip in the event the app and my device do not work as I hope it would. Thanks of the info!

Scott

Scott290

Recruit

Hey Marc...yes that is the way it is supposed to work. The tablet I have is an Apple iPad knock-off so it is actually an android based tablet. I hope it works as you described, but I did buy a waterproof chart of the area in case I have to do some manual navigating.

Scott