Advice/question on boat for sale

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to upgrade to a 22' bowrider and have my eyes on a 03' Regal 2200. For my price range this boat checks off all our needs except a bow ladder and a head (the head is a luxury and hard to find on a bowrider in my price range). Anyway, I found one in North Carolina that looks decent except the lower unit. It looks pretty heavily corroded for its age (picture below). The salesman said it has been in freshwater its whole life and what I am seeing is electrolysis which is common on a boat left on a lift. Does this sound right? To me it looks like salt water issues. Not to mention the massive amount of skeg that is missing. I figure if I get it at a decent price, I can have the skeg repaired/rewelded. Any thoughts?

URL to sale below...

regal LU.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Are you still in St Louis?

Seems a heck of a long way to go to get a bowrider. Arent they the most popular model type?

None between St Louis and North Carolina?

Unless you can easily go take a look at it, assess it for yourself, including an on the water test, and walk away, I'd keep looking.

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep still in STL. I actually just had the same model for sale down the street that sold before I made a move on it. Same thing to another Regal a couple hours away. I think these boats are pretty popular which gives me a bit of a selection. I broaden my search to anywhere to get a good deal although I do sacrifice seeing it first. I would make a deal before I left and contingent on inspection. I bought my last boat off ebay (coincidently in N Carolina) a few years ago and made the round trip nonstop to pick her up. Ended up being a great deal.

I have the advantage of not needing the boat right away so can look for a good deal but don't want to wait too long as a couple sold out from under me. Although inventory may increase as the weather gets warmer.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The salesman is lying to you! Electrolysis does not happen on a boat stored out of the water. The whole idea of a lift is to get all the boat out of the water. What else is he lying about? Fresh water? What ocean borders the South Carolina coast? 'Nuff said? Walk away from this one.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your in STL, I know many people that have gotten really good deals in STL, including myself (much lower pricing than WI).

If I were you, I would look local vs that boat. looks like it was a marina boat or used in salt water often and not rinsed.

tpenfield

Staff member
Outdrive looks like galvanic corrosion. I do not see any anodes on the outdrive or trim cylinders to offset the stainless steel. It could be salt water or even extended periods of fresh water without proper anode protection. Not worth traveling for IMO.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Looks nice, but I wouldn't travel for that boat. It's not that good of a deal IMO and you can find a boat that you want within 3 hr drive. Don't be in a rush to buy the first one you see, the good ones won't go as fast now as they will in June. There will be more good ones available in June, but they will sell faster than they will now. Just call right away when you see a good one for sale. You're in the market for the same boat I was 2 seasons ago and are close to the same location as me (in fact, I setup the visit on my current boat while visiting my parents in STL). There were 5 boats I called on that day, 2 in STL that were already sold, the one I have and 2 other 21' Crownlines within 3 hrs of me, all were priced in this range 2 years ago in season.

There are other boats. Good luck and be patient. I'm certain you'll find something better close to home before May.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I'd keep looking. I agree with the comment above that the salesman is already lying to you. Stay away from boats by salty oceans. Look north by the great lakes. I got a good deal on my SeaRay but I had to drive from Minneapolis to Cincinnati to get it. I negotiated the price over the phone and test drove it on the Ohio river before buying. IMHO it makes sense to be willing to travel to get the boat you want when you going used. It has worked out great for me twice.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
That boat appears to have been stored in the water without the proper Anode protection, I don't see one on top of the exhaust port.

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the advice. Something struck me wrong with what the salesman was telling me which is why I came were to get some opinions. I will pass on this one. This is by far the first boat I have seen. I have been looking, almost daily, for boats on craigslist for the past 10+ years. Its really more of a hobby than anything and I think it gives me a pretty good idea of boat values and what to look for. I am looking for a 2000 or newer 22' open bow for under 15k which isn't always easy to come by in good condition with reasonable hours (plus my wife has a list of wants: walk through transom, Bimini, looks good, ect), but I agree they are definitely out there. I have focused my search focused regal, searay, and chapparal, but am definitely open to more models.

Also, I am in no hurry, but after years of saying I am going to upgrade from my '83 16' checkmate enticer, I actually have the cash to make it a reality so I am hoping to pull the trigger on something before or during this next summer. It would be nice to find something close, but I am up for traveling to get a good deal. As I mentioned before I bought my last boat in NC. I have also driven over 6 hours or in one case took a flight for my last few cars. I like to think that I am getting a better deal, but that could all be in my head.

In addition to the above comments I'd say that it took a hell of a hit to break off that much of the skeg. It's very much possible that there was internal damage to the gearcase (bent prop shaft, etc.).

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree about the skeg. It seems to be 80% gone. The line looks so straight that I am guessing they knocked out a chunk and then cut the rest off in a straight line to look uniform. I do not see how it would break straight like that. The salesman said that it "does not effect the ride of the boat a great deal" which does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Looks like deposits and not corrosion to me. Have him take a closer picture. With the pictures he has, you can't even see the 2 anodes so would need a picture of those as well.

I would be worried about a lot more things with a boat than what that particular sterndrive looks like.

The salesman said that it "does not effect the ride of the boat a great deal" which does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
I totally agree with him. I would still get it fixed. It's main purpose in life is to protect the prop. I would have the runout checked on the prop shaft.

My brother drove from Los Angeles to Texas to pick up his 26' Formula so I totally understand driving aways for a boat. I drove 350 miles for my pontoon.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I just noticed another thing from looking at the Ad listing . . .

Looks like blister rash behind the step in the hull :noidea:

blistersrash1.jpg

So, another issue to consider.

The interior looks nice . . . very clean, but the outdrive and these blisters will give you quite a challenge.

Danny C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering what that was, but had not asked yet. I am unfamiliar with blister rash.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
As others have stated, the pitting on the outdrive and the blistering on the hull are indicators of extended periods of being moored in the water (in a slip, not a lift)...there are 2 types of anode protection, magnesium and zinc...I forget which is better for which, saltwater vs. freshwater (someone on here will know?) It may or may not affect boat performance...the hull blistering, I'd pass on alone!

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

~Brett

tpenfield

Staff member
I was wondering what that was, but had not asked yet. I am unfamiliar with blister rash.

Yes, blisters are what happen when you don't hold your tennis racket properly or you forget to wear socks when roller blading :D. The same sort of thing happens with boats when they are left in the water for long periods of time without a barrier coat on the gelcoat (below the water line). water 'seeps' through the gelcoat very slowly and then starts to break down the gelcoat material at a molecular level, forming a liquid pocket between the gelcoat and the fiberglass, much like a blister on your hand or foot.

The only problem with boats is that the blisters don't heal, they only get bigger over time. Freezing temperatures also accelerates the increase in size of the blisters.

Sometimes blisters can appear in an isolated manner, other times they can be close together and numerous, thus the rash term is often used.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I didn't see that blistering picture when I first looked at the pictures. I would pass on the boat because of that. It is way more a concern than the drive.