Acquired 1977 Mon Ark Tri-Hull w/ Johnson 65 -- Seeking Information

tdpollard

Recruit
I recently bought a 16 ft '77 Mon Ark and I think it is a Super Sport model but am very unsure. I've heard nothing but great things about these boats, but documentation and information has been hard to come by. I'm looking for just that, some documentation, website or someone to recognize what I've got and point me in the right direction. Oh, the Johnson 65 outboard is a '72 and I've had no problem with information on that. Plan is to clean this baby up and float it in the flats of Florida.

New to this forum so I apologize for being a newbie until I get familiar. I'm posting a few photos...

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Pictures will help identify what you have. What questions do you have?

We were ALL newbies at one time!

tdpollard

Recruit
Thanks for reply, NYBo... I just wanted to see if any previous Mon Ark owners might recognize the model of this boat from the pics and had any experience or insight to share. Gathering information at this point before I dig into it...

tdpollard

Recruit
I uploaded the pics inside the original post.. I can see them but its possible I can't upload pics just yet...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What do you want to know about it? Mon Ark was built in Monticello, Arkansas as I recall aka namesake. It was built during the early bass boat revolution and looked as many of the time with a few twists of the designer's pencil. Ranger, Kingfisher, Quacita, Chrysler, Glass Magic, and Skeeter were some of the common names down here along with that brand.

Problems are primarily water entry driven. The water marks I see "smells" of having been left out in the elements for a period of time and that can't help things. Decks, transoms and stringer rotting is your main concern along with water logged flotation under the floor unless it is like the Chrysler which had an air chamber under the floor (deck) with no flotation material. Deck rotting was your main concern there. 15-16' were the common lengths. Engine hp ran from 60 to 85 usually. With a 65 one can expect 35-40 with proper "setup" and prop tuning....36 with friend's 65 Johnny on a Kingfisher. Hard riding. Beat you to death in a good chop. Sponsons of the era don't help; actually hinder smooth, dry ride, and in a quarter, where the wind is blowing from the beam (side) and you are quartering (45 degrees to) the waves, makes for a wet, bumpy ride.

Got 2 choices as I see it. Check it out and if it seems solid leave it be and use it as is. If it seems too heavy (wet flotation) or bottom has a bow, hull wiggles in a good chop, or transom flexes when you firewall it then you might choose to dedicate lots of time and tons of money in a restoration.

I see you have console steering. That's a plus as some of these boats had stick steering from the front seat and that was a very unsafe design.

The above comments are my personal opinion based on facts that I have observed being a participant in the sport.

tdpollard

Recruit
Thank you for responding Texasmark. No, this is my second boat. I plan on cleaning it up and floating it as-is. I appreciate your comments, and this boat is headed for year round indoor storage! It clearly has been left out in the elements and is getting a better life and home. I have yet to really crawl into it to see it's true condition, but I assume what you said would be true, that this type of boat would be prone to water damage and rot from the inside out. Soon I will get it to a warmer destination, floating and running and see what it might need. I thank you again for your comments and this forum and everyone's experience will be a great resource.

Anyone ever owned a boat like this one before and be able to tell me a model?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for responding Texasmark. No, this is my second boat. I plan on cleaning it up and floating it as-is. I appreciate your comments, and this boat is headed for year round indoor storage! It clearly has been left out in the elements and is getting a better life and home. I have yet to really crawl into it to see it's true condition, but I assume what you said would be true, that this type of boat would be prone to water damage and rot from the inside out. Soon I will get it to a warmer destination, floating and running and see what it might need. I thank you again for your comments and this forum and everyone's experience will be a great resource.

Anyone ever owned a boat like this one before and be able to tell me a model?

Google the mfgr. See what happens