In-line water separator fuel filter caused starving of engine???

Plan3

Cadet
Could the head of the Parker Racor inline water seperator cause fuel starving? After struggling with the bulb on my fuel line (for outboard portable tank) to get a steady flow of fuel to my motor (often encountering a rock-hard bulb and no outflow from the exit nipple, I unscrewed the filter and tray and foud the filter only half-filled, plus no fuel would flow into the entry tube that the filter screws onto. Do blockages occur in this part of the fuel system? In the mentime, I've removed the metal filter head and will look for how it gets blocked!
Have others run ino this problem?

alldodge

Staff member
The filter should not be the issue, I would be looking for a blockage on the output side of the filter to the engine. Something is not bleeding air out or your outboard motor fuel pump has an problem

Plan3

Cadet
Thanks, AllDodge, for the quick reply! I'll keep in mind your advice as I proceed with troubleshooting.

Plan3

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I disagree... You COULD have a blockage anywhere... If you can't force fuel into the filter inlet then there would obviously be an issue....

You need to systematically trace the flow of fuel from start to finish....

If boat layout allows I would consider having the squeeze bulb pull from the tank and into the filter... Then from there to the engine....
Would allow for the easiest priming and testing...

WARNING! LONG story LOL:

I recently fought with a fuel issue... Had water in the tank but didnt know it... After installing a new pickup sin e the old one was split at 1/2 tank, I pumped tank out (to remove old gas) all but a gallon or so I couldn't easily remove and then filled with 100 gallons of fresh gas n headed for the river.... Ran superb for a few minutes and the died. Turns out that gallon or so was water.... Spent a BUNCH of time running a few minutes and then dumping the water separator in a can... Wash up, ventilate bilge, repeat.... Had nearly filled a 5 gallon gas can when I was absolutely certain that I was dumping only fresh gas...

At this point I started swapping ignition components with no improvement...

Finally after all this I removed my new pickup and found no issue until I decided to take the anti siphon valve apart.... It was totally blocked with scraps of silicone from someone who should be shot installing a new gauge sender at some point.... Removed anti siphon valve and the trash in the line so remaking bits of silicone could make it to the filter n hopefully not stop up the line.... After a few more tanks will replace anti siphon valve...

Plan3

Cadet
From Plan3: Folks, I got the problem solved! Thanks to the responders! After removing the Parker/Racor filter head and screwing off the filter bowl,and noticing that that bowl was only1/2 filled, I decided to fill it with fuel, screw it back on and give the bulb a squeeze (with the exit nipple separated from the motor intake hose.) Now there was a good flow of fuel!!!. The motor did stall at least one more time, and I had to apply pressure to the bulb! (I guess it was still bleeding the air, from that half-filled bowl) out of the system! Now the motor is working like a charm. (I dare not admit my folly to my grand-son, a motor-cyclist. can't deal with the "Should have know that all the time!" Did discuss it with my son, his uncle, and ended up giving a lecture on the basic principle of syphoning, matters like maintaining the exit end below the level of the entry end, the ratio of air (needed for pressure) versus that of the denser fluid to be displaced to start the process, etc., etc. I hope this little note might be helpful to someone!
Tanks again to Iboats forum!