Priming and painting question just happens to be boat related.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I procured a can of Holiday red spray paint to match my 1959 mark 400. I used it to paint the throttle arm on the control box. I primed with a white primer and when the paint dried it appeared lighter red than the motor and the color on the can, does the color of primer make that much difference?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Deep, Yes the color of primer can make a final difference if there is light coats of top paint applied. If you apply enough coats of paint the primer shouldn't matter. But usually folks get light colored primer if they are applying the lighter colors of top coats and darker primer for darker colored top coats. In fact you can even get tinted primers for the actually color finish color with some types of paint. JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Some paints even require an undercoat of a certain color and that undercoat requires a certain color of primer.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thats why there are different color primers.Can make a big difference as you have found out.Charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
For OBs I use rattle can self etching primer, which is a medium green. I topcoat that with white or black and everything in between and see no difference.

Topcoat with a light coat followed by a second light coat followed by a medium heavy wet coat, with an hour between coats.

Don't forget that your old Merc may be faded and / or the new paint may not be matched perfectly either. Apply more paint and if it still doesn't match its not the primer's fault.

Is this the red? IMG_4908web.jpg