Skagit...now I know I have a problem

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking for a good bow light with a flag staff hole for our boat project, and found a boat on CL that was destined to be scrapped. I worked out a deal with the guy that I would take the boat, strip it, and take it to my local landfill. I can dispose of it for about $20. He can't dump it at his local landfill ( 1 1/2 hour a way).
We plan to do the pick up this weekend. Today he told me a guy wants it for some kind of demolition derby. For some reason, it made me anxious. What a stupid addiction this is. Here I am, planning on taking it to the dump, and I can't stand the thought of it being smashed up for recreation.

I guess a tiny part of me wants to know if it might be salvageable. I know Skagit only made about 1000 boats, and I can't find another one like this, even at the classicboat site, where most of the Skagit fans get together. I am trying to register for that site, but it is taking time. It looks like most of the boats they made were the Express model. I wonder if this one might be rare?

So I offered him my Glastron that is 100% destined for the landfill. He can give that to his demo guy, and I'll take the Skagit. And now I'm tossing a tiny amount of $$ into the deal.
unsure.png

I'd feel better if everyone jumped up and down and said THIS IS THE WORST BOAT EVER MADE!!
or
YOU FOUND THE HOLY GRAIL!

Know what I mean? Skagit.jpg

64osby

Admiral
Don't know anything about the boat, Pic looks nice.

The trailer looks like a Gator brand. Nice trailers, looks like it is a tilt style. Have one under my project hull. Sold another one for $350 a couple years back.

Have fun with the MBS.:D

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not knowing what state you live in, perhaps he is having an awakening in that he has no title or paper work. Is the boat stolen? Even taking it to a land fill in my state, if it is a titled vehicle the landfill wants that title for demolition. Something sound rather fishy here....

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
He bought it for the motor. Floor is ripped up, but Skagits have fiberglass stringers. I don't need a title to scrap it. I think he's legit. But the trailer is not part of the deal. We will be meeting at a boat ramp, floating my boat onto his trailer, his onto mine.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
THAT'S THE WORST BOAT EVER MADE!!! uhhhh can I have it? :rolleyes:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Oh, you are into it now! It never ends. Old boats call to me like women " Frank--you know you want me. We can have fun together. I love you. C'mon big boy, take me home. Right now I have 6 hulls 4 of which are in ridable condition. My gem is a Glastron GT150 waiting to be restored.

Wait-- somewhere down the line you will find another old hull needing you LOL

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
He bought it for the motor. Floor is ripped up, but Skagits have fiberglass stringers. I don't need a title to scrap it. I think he's legit. But the trailer is not part of the deal. We will be meeting at a boat ramp, floating my boat onto his trailer, his onto mine.

I'm sure you have done your research, but it isn't wood encased in fiberglass by chance?

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope. "Air voids" per the brochure and forum reading I have done. No wood. I am sure the transom is shot, but aren't they all?

Much like the Larson All American we are working on, they used heavy weave fiberglass forms and no wood to make the stringer structure.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Frank, if I count the wood boat I'm inheriting from my dad (it's a bonfire waiting to happen) this will be my 7th boat in current possesion. I've got it bad...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I like this better than rest of the fleet ! Doing the demolition derby with it would have been tragic !!

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did anyone notice that this is a left hand drive? I can't find anything showing a left hand drive. Is this common?

shrew

Lieutenant
Unless it's an old wooden Hacker Craft or Chris Craft, then it's not 'rare' and not worth anything. Boats aren't like cars. There were thousands of small 'mom & pop' boat makers that made under 1,000 production units. You're looking for a flag pole mount. Now you're paying someone for the privilege of dumping his liability for him. Don't make foolish decisions with your heart.

Swoosh3

Seaman
All the most satisfying decisions made in life are made from the heart!

What a great looking boat, it certainly has character, and if it will keep the lake out...it's perfect!

Hang an old Popsencoughsanfartster(tm) off the stern and go enjoy her!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unless it's an old wooden Hacker Craft or Chris Craft........

The rest isnt worth quoting. And its inaccurate.

Plenty of boats besides thosr brands have value well above worthless.

Shrew, try not to wholly (solely?) personify your user name

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Shrew, I fear you are missing the point for most of us excited about old (fiberglass especially) boats. What's the cost to me here? $20 cash. I promise I can afford to spend $20 on nearly anything and not have it hurt me. I'm saving $20 by giving my old boat to the guy to demo rather than taking it to the landfill. If I end up scrapping the Skagit (I doubt it) I'm still only at $20. Yes, I will spend some money on gas, and likely lunch for me and my daughter.

What do I get? A few hours messing around with old beautiful boats, meeting a potentially interesting boat guy, and getting time with my girl. She gets time pulling a boat on the trailer, which is priceless for her as a new driver. It's going to be nearly 50 degrees here in WI on Saturday! And sunny!!

The draw (for me) to these old boats is the excitement of learning about them, reading about them, dreaming about them. The best part is that my daughter is totally into it too! And my wife is tolerant of the whole thing! My dad loves talking about them with me, and we have a great time laughing at this addiction. There is so little risk in getting an old fiberglassic. For less than the cost of a movie, or even a fast food meal, you can't beat this for fun. You say I'm paying someone for his liability. I just don't see it. And the best decision are made with the heart. If this were a Chris Craft or Hacker I would be obligated to a full quality restore, costing tens of thousands of dollars. For me, that becomes a business or obligation, not a hobby. This is fun.

Sure hope you were just teasing...or I am sorry for you. Have some fun! Life is short.