screw into floor

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
So in my engine compartment, like most, I have a battery tray and tilt pump screwed down to the floor from the factory. As I consider a second battery, it has me wondering. How long of screws am I safe to use in putting down a second battery tray? I know I could simply put in a battery box and strap it to the first one, but I'm considering running the second battery on port side. And even if I don't, I may want to give it it's own installed tray or a new double battery tray.

In the end, I'm just wondering how much depth is available for putting screws into that floor area.

IMG_2083b.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Remove one of the screws holding the existing battery tray. Then you know how long you can go.

NYBo

Admiral
There is nothing to be gained by using screws more than a fraction of an inch longer than the thickness of the tray + the plywood in the compartment. You may wish to use threaded inserts epoxied into the plywood with appropriate bolts instead of screws.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The deck is usually 1/2" plywood, with a couple of sheets of fiberglass over it. Figure on screws of about 1". Drill pilot holes and backfill with silicone caulk, to seal the holes. Now install the screws.

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would not go in to the fiberglass any more then 3/8 .There is no plywood in your Glastron it has a VEC Hull .put a little 3M 5200 in the screw holes.

robert graham

Admiral
Screw it and glue it!...same screws as other box with a blob of silicone under each corner....it'll work well like that...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The deck is usually 1/2" plywood, with a couple of sheets of fiberglass over it. Figure on screws of about 1". Drill pilot holes and backfill with silicone caulk, to seal the holes. Now install the screws.

Chris has a similar way to do this as I. However, I usually drill out any screw hole a lot larger then needed and then fill those holes with PB (polyester resin, Cabisol and 1/4" cut fibers). The once that cures, I redill the hole again and install the screws. Then there never ever any issues with water rot around those screws again. JMHO!

My thoughts are slightly different I guess. In an accident, which I hope never happens, the battery(s) will likely pull out the screws anyway. Think about using enclosed battery boxes, screw them down and use the supplied straps to secure the lids. This gives you a better chance of protecting against spilled acid but more importantly, to protect against something coming in contact with the cables and starting a fire.