Trading for Jon Boat

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The 6 hp get's ya across the lake to your fishing spot quickly. The electric trolling motor moves ya around that area quietly. You can troll with either but the electric is preferred by most. While in Canada, I trolled with my 8 hp for day's, The lake was huge, and we caught lots of fish!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It looks like the Johnson 6HP engine is a '76 model if I am correct. That color scheme looks like the 76 models. JMHO!

MRS

Commander
So what would the 6hp Johnson be for? Is that still considered a trolling motor?

Yes it would be if it was on a bigger boat . I f you do not know then you should stay with a non motor boat till you know the difference. Not being rude but you have to learn the right stuff if you are going to run a motor boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Dude -- the 6 HP motor is the main propulsion for the boat. The "electric" trolling motor is to poke along slowly while fishing. The electric is noiseless compared to the gas engine. I suggest you really do some boat research if you actually plan to work up to reasonable bass boat. If you can't figure out this current deal you will get royally hosed on a bigger more complex boat. You've been advised to 1) check with the state to see if the trailer, motor, and boat need titles/registration. Failure to have the documents means you have no way of knowing if the rig is stolen and are in for a lot of frustration and leg work to get this paperwork sorted out. 2) You need to "see and hear" the motor run. Just needs a tune up is seller-speak for it is toast. If the owner refuses to run the motor (using a garden hose and a flushing device or in a trash can full of water) you drop the price in half and hope for the best. Be aware that the three pronged stump & rock device on the end of the motor is not a factory device and was added by the owner. That should tell you this boat has some hard used and the lower unit (the propeller end) may have suffered some damage. The seller probably realizes he can sell your kayak for $250 (or possibly more) but the boat and both motors may have issues so he can't sell it for what he's asking. That leaves him in the drivers seat and you on the losing end of a bad deal. Unless you have some mechanical and engine troubleshooting skills and can work on engine powered stuff yourself, you really have two choices: a) obtain the items really cheap so you have enough margin to have the work done, or b) know what you are getting so you don't get burned. Never, I repeat never, take a sellers word that the engine runs good or that the boat doesn't leak, or the trailer doesn't have any problems. You need verify this stuff yourself. If you don't have a clue, take someone with you that knows what to look for.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So we're to believe that someone who doesn't know what a motor or a trolling motor is for is working his way up to a bass boat???

I smell a troll.

Freddybl101

Cadet
Would you say this boat could pull 4 150 pound people for one mile to get to duck blind and back?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd be a bit cautious about putting that much weight in it. There is a capacity plate on it, follow that guideline. Remember, to add all the gear and motor/ fuel weight also. I think you would be over the limit. Any shift in weight, it'll tip and fill with water. Along with your gear getting lost in the bottom of the lake.