Trading for Jon Boat

Freddybl101

Cadet
So I am trading my Kayak which sells for around $250 plus $150 for a Jon Boat that comes with a trolley motor and trailer. I am starting to wonder if this will be a good deal for me and am almost clueless about boats so I need your help. The Jon Boat is 12 feet aluminum and comes with a 69 Johnson 6 Hp motor. The guy said the boat doesn't have a name and the trailer is said to be a small trailer converted to a boat trailer. Not sure if any of this is good or bad but I'm hoping you can help me with this. I have a couple pictures of the boat so hopefully you can get more information from those. I'm hoping you can let me know if this is a good trade and what you think I can get out of it. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Freddy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
As long as you want a small flat bottom jon boat w motor instead of a kayak, you didnt get taken but you didnt steal it either, unless the motor doesnt run.

Just make sure you know the titling and registration for your state. WV doesnt require either if there's no motor, like your kayak. But require both for boats like the jon boat. Trailer too. Other states can be different.

If your state requires them, and the seller cant provide that paperwork, it can be easy or very difficult to resolve the titling and registration, again depending on the state.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
First thing... No such thing (except for trolleys) as a trolley motor.. It's an electric trolling motor... Troll meaning to move the boat slowly while fishing.

Next the boat does or did have a name.... As mentioned above go to your state's government agency that handles titles and registrations (or the website) and find out what paperwork you need BEFORE making the deal.

Last if both motors work as they should and the boat is in good shape including the transom and all paperwork is in order then I'd say you are likely getting the better deal. If the paperwork is not in order keep paddling.

Freddybl101

Cadet
The thing is I'm doing a project and trying to trade up until I get something worth around 2k. The guy says he has a 6Hp Johnson and an electric motor. He says the motor starts first pull and everything is functional. He used it to hunt on the Potomac. I want to be sure that with the trailer, motors, and boat itself I can get around $600-$700. (Pictures are above).

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depends on your market, and what a buyer would pay. In bartering you're only willing to pay $250, what your kayak is worth.

IMO, your a tad high at $650 going into winter. Might be a tad low going into spring and the start of fishing season. Asking 650, offers would be 450-500 here currently. IF and only if the motor actually runs AND the paperwork is in order. Less, maybe much less if those 2 conditions arent met..

Although, 500 would be double what you think your kayak is worth.

My earlier statement stands, not a steal, but you arent losing either...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I paid $75 bucks for the same type of boat 30 years ago. then I bought a motor, 50 bucks. then a trolling motor,150 bucks. Then a trailer I managed to get out of a scrapyard,tires,tounge hitch...$ ???? I forget. Still have the setup. If ya don't kyak anymore, sounds like a deal as long as everything is in working order. It'll go in the shallows where other boats won't. Hauled mine from to Canada a few times, and all over the state at one point or another.

Freddybl101

Cadet
If I went to check it out before we made the trade do you have any questions you think I should ask to confirm some things? Like I said I'm not a boat guy so I don't know my stuff. Also could I have him show me that the motor works or is that bad for it since its not in water.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The thing is I'm doing a project and trying to trade up until I get something worth around 2k. The guy says he has a 6Hp Johnson and an electric motor. He says the motor starts first pull and everything is functional. He used it to hunt on the Potomac. I want to be sure that with the trailer, motors, and boat itself I can get around $600-$700. (Pictures are above).

I suddenly have no interest...

Trading repeatedly (on craigslist I assume) for the sole purpose of something for nothing is a fad lately that is seriously reducing the usefulness of craigslist.

JMHO

Freddybl101

Cadet
Another question I have has to do with the title of the boat. He says it does not need a title because the boats size and motor is under 10hp ( I live in Maryland). Is this true? If so what do the numbers MD 1506 Z mean on the side of the boat shown in the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google maryland boat title and go to the state site

No idea what Marylands rules are. WV requires titles and registration for that type boat and its trailer.

The # is registration # saying tax and use fee was paid thru year of sticker

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I BOUGHT a bass boat for that amount of money! Course it's an older model and needed some minor work...but I'm only the second owner and it was always garaged....just sayin.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
TX requires a TITLE on a canoe or $20 1-man inflatable if you put a trolling motor on it...

Every state is different.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
As long as the paperwork is in order, sounds like a good deal. Looks like a decent boat for fishin, clean it up and use it! Buying a boat to sell to upgrade to another boat is a losing proposition. IMHO

Freddybl101

Cadet
If you look in the picture on the back of the boat you can see the big 6hp Johnson but I'm wondering what the smaller one right next to it does/is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If you look in the picture on the back of the boat you can see the big 6hp Johnson but I'm wondering what the smaller one right next to it does/is.
It is a minnkota electric trolling motor. Great for fishin (quiet trolling) maintaining position.