Tilt/trim

Ralfm1

Recruit
I was given a mercury 50 hp motor that runs great but tilt/trim is bad, if I remove tilt pistons can I use motor as manual tilt/trim? Anyone have answer. P.S. I am on Social Security and can't afford to replace tilt/trim.

Alumarine

Captain
You could set the trim with the tilt pin but it's not easily adjustable
As far as tilt goes you could tilt it and hold it in place with a 1"x2".

Ralfm1

Recruit
I found some old posts about 1971 merc 500 50 hp saying it has no tilt/trim but guy that gave me this motor said he thought it had it . i have tried researching on line and can not find out one way or another the serial # is 3013929 if anyone knows these motors and can help i would be grateful. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

You can tell if the tilt cylinders are standard or for tilt and trim by looking at the cylinders. Tilt and trim cylinders have hydraulic tubing and/or fittings. Standard cylinders have no fittings.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Below is the clamp and swivel parts diagram for S/N 2858814 THRU 4140999 which includes your serial number. Unless tilt and trim was added or the tilt cylinders were added, your motor wouldn't have the cylinders. Mercury did have a kit to add tilt and trim to some earlier motors.

50 tnt.PNG

Ralfm1

Recruit
Ok there's no hydraulic hoses so no tilt/trim so just need someone stronger than me to lift them.too much turkey maybe. Thanks all.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Google 'Dotline Outboad Motor Tilter'. It's made for motors up to 75 horse. It's simply a lever with hooks at the rear that catch the back of the cowling. About $60. If you're handy you could make one.

No need to make any excuses. That motor gives you lousy leverage, with a lot of weight below the pivot point.

And, welcome to iboats!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Ralf, the original manual tilt Mercs had small hydraulic cylinders, one to a side, low on the transom bracket. They also had a tilt lock. Put the motor into FORWARD to release the tilt lock. Now firnly tilt up the gearcase. The small hydraulic cylinders inhibit tilt movement in both directions, so lift slowly and steadily, until they start to move.

That is normal operation for those older Mercs.