1964 Duratech Sabre

L Travis

Cadet
I recently acquired a this fiberglass boat which has has been in my family since new. Was sold and registered in CT since new as a 1964 15ft Duratech Sabre serial # 41566. The problem is Duratech never manufactured any fiberglass boats after 1961 according to published production information. This boat is almost identical to a Glass Magic Nymph sold in 1960. Data plate and Duratech badging are are original and correct. Does anyone have an explanation or know how to access Duratech records? I want to get a motor correct for the age of the boat, which I believe may be about 1960 or earlier.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Travis:

Try THIS out. They've got the Duratech lists, but seem to be missing a couple of years.

L Travis

Cadet
Thanks. I've already checked it out. That was my source to determine Duratech manufactured no fiberglass boats after 1961. I know Duratech had a franchise to manufacture and distribute Glass Magic boats in the northeast. That could explain the Sabre and Nymph being almost identical but not a model year of 1964.

L Travis

Cadet
Does anyone know someone who worked for either Duratech or Glass Magic boat companies or would know how to access production information?

southkogs

Staff member
BTW - did you look at the Glass Magic entry at Fiberglassics?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Production data from the 60s will likely be extremely difficult to find for any boat maker, even those still producing boats, like Starcraft or Alumacraft.

Alumacraft is the only current maker that has any info at all.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The boat was obviously sold new in '64..... If you prefer a '59, '60,'61,etc, motor go for it....

Personally I can't see any reason to stress over it...

Most likely there aren't any records to be seen....

Last edited:

L Travis

Cadet
I have the original bill of sale showing the boat as "1964 Duratech Sabre". Doing this research to correct the title to show the year the boat was built. I have A number of classic boats listed with ACBS including an original 53 Chris Craft Racing Runabout. All of them are correctly titled and documented as the year made not the year sold or some other year created by a boat dealer. ACBS has judging rules and I'm putting this boat together for my grandson so we can display boats together at ACBS boat shows. ACBS is encouraging younger folks to display and is currently working on judging criteria. I am working other sources besides this forum. A poster named Joe Sam or Sam Joe may have some insight. How do I contact him? Thanks for indulging me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google DuratechBoats, all 1 word.

Joes site should come up, but I didnt see a whole lot of helpful info or brochures he mentioned in the inactive topic you posted in.

And the Duratech boat forum posted on his site, is a link back to iboats Duratech forum.

Please observe the 90 day inactive topic guideline.

L Travis

Cadet
Made contact with the son of the Duratech founder and the webmaster for the Duratech website who declared the Sabre is 1961. Viewed literature for 60 and 61 fiberglass Duratech models and the 61 Sabre is identical to mine. It's an early 61,as the fiberglass factory was destroyed by fire on 6 July 1961. Subsequently ,only aluminum boats were manufactured by Duratech after the fire. The boat now has an original 58 Johnson SSH(Javelin) mounted. When new it had a 58 Evinrude Lark. Need a Javelin cover that mounts in the rear of the cowl. Any suggestions?

L Travis

Cadet
Thanks. Did join AOMCI and the TX Chapter and will work the others as well. I plan to attend the chapter water meet in April. Hopefully with a working outboard boat. My 53 Chris Craft Racing Runabout will be part of the TXAOMCI and ACBS display at the Houston Boat Show In Jan.