Bow flag pole

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really would like a bow flag pole for my Larson All American. Are there any aftermarket options you all know of? I hate to have to replace the original light with a different one...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lights often take a specific pole if there's more then a simple round hole in the top of the light.

Search for burgee pole, if you know anyone w/ a wood lathe, you could probably find a pix w/ enough detail to have them make one.

I'd bet you could find a light that looks the same or is very similar, w/ a pole on ebay w/ some patience.

Who made the light? That would help find a pole that will work as would a pix of the light from a coupe different angles, including a shot down at the hole

alldodge

Staff member
I really would like a bow flag pole for my Larson All American. Are there any aftermarket options you all know of? I hate to have to replace the original light with a different one...

A white light on the bow while running is not good, now if you want it there when at anchor, cool

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Piece of cake. Personally, I wouldn't own a boat that didn't have a bow pennant and a stern flag.

If your bow light or your bow rail's bow form have a hole in it, buy a mahogany flagpole and whittle the end to fit the hole. If you have neither, then buy a simple flagpole socket, either straight or angled, and mount it on the deck right behind the bow light. Then buy a pole to fit the socket, no wittling required.

Here are pics of the 3 solutions. In the case of the tinny, I had to extend the front deck slightly to fit the socket.

I know you don't want to replace the bow light, but the one pictured here is a relatively inexpensive one with a retro look. Not many today are equipped with sockets.

bow light.jpgbow form.jpgFP socket.jpg

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A white light on the bow while running is not good, now if you want it there when at anchor, cool
A flagpole / white light combo is an old school transom fitting. You would never want a lighted flagpole on the bow. Bow poles are strictly for pennants, and they should not interfere with the combination light.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
JimS123, I can't see the pictures...

AllDodge, Jim is right. We are just talking about a pole at the bow light (with the red/green) to hold the flag. The white light is for stern use only.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It'll sound nitpicky, but I like to see our flag displayed properly. The US National Ensign (50-star flag) is traditionally flown from the stern of the boat. See the section entitled 'United States Ensign' at this site..

http://usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html

The U.S. national ensign, sometimes called "50-star" or "Old Glory," is the proper and preferred flag for all U.S. vessels. Your boat should wear it from 0800 until sunset, and when you enter or leave port during daylight or at night, weather and rig permitting. While in port, if you leave your boat and will not return before sunset, lower and stow the national ensign before you go. The national ensign worn by a vessel must be the flag of her registry?not necessarily that of the owner or operator.
Generally, the national ensign should be displayed at the peak of the gaff, i.e., the outer end of the spar extending aft from the mast of your boat?if you boat has a gaff. If it does not, fly it from the flagstaff at your boat's stern. If your boat has an overhanging boom or an outboard motor, your flagstaff may be offset to starboard (preferably) from your boat's centerline.

Burgees, (the smaller triangular flags that denote a yacht club or other membership), are flown from the bow. My boat has 2 that fly from the bow rail- my USPS squadron burgee, and my wife's 'flag of office'. She's the Administrative officer of our Power Squadron. The frivolous stuff like your pirate's flag should also be a triangular burgee flown from the bow.

My .02

Last edited:

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
JoLin, that's not nitpicky at all. My plan is to fly the Larson banner from the bow and the US flag from the stern.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Funny how life works...my dad just got an unusable Dunphy wood boat that we will likely part out for the hardware. Guess what's on the bow?! dunphy6.jpg
And we found the mast laying in the boat!
I'll get it rechromed and use it on my boat!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the price for the rechroming. Great looking light though. There's a similar one, maybe the same, w/out flag on ebay I considered bidding on

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
jbcurt, I know what you mean about the rechroming. Fortunately, I know a guy...shared a space next to him at a car show...he owns the chroming company. Nice guy. But stil $$$.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, the local guys are quoting about $300 to have it re-re-chromed. One guy is worried it may not be salvageable sure to the pitting. Thoughts?

jbcurt00

Staff member
It comes down to how much you want to spend and how high your expectations are.

Poor quality pot metal was often used, and some dont want the headache of a small job turning into a major project.

Let me know what Philip has to say.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
The boat is a Larson All American not a Chris Craft or other classic boat.

Paint it, or have it powder coated in a "chrome" or silver paint. It will look very nice and not cost a small fortune.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well, the local guys are quoting about $300 to have it re-re-chromed. One guy is worried it may not be salvageable sure to the pitting. Thoughts?

Its pot metal with heavy pitting. It could probably be rechromed but you won't be happy with the result. When I restored my woodie I had every piece of hardware on the boat rechromed and it didn't cost $300. I think the price is inflated because he isn't interested in doing it since he knows how it will look.

Perko makes a retro classic bow light that is basically the same as what they made 60 years ago. I checked IBoats and they don't carry it. Here is a link to an EBay auction. Check the part # and you may find it elsewhere for less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perko-Classic-Series-1218-Bi-Color-Bow-Light-12V-1218DP0CHR-/231747393991? hash=item35f53899c7:g:~cQAAOSwQoFWQLmb&vxp=mtr

This is the same bow light in the pic I posted of my woodie. I bought it as a temporary expedient until I could find an original one. It went thru my first judged show with it on and I lost points because it was a modern copy. I ended up finding one a year later on EBay - it was a 1950 original NOS in the original box, never used. It cost me $250 for the bow light and another $300 for the stern light. They were chromed bronze and the lenses were glass, not plastic.

I had an original Perko back in 1968 and it came with a chrome staff. They don't make a current model, so you will have to whittle one out of a mahogany or teak pole. Easy job.

If you aren't particularly fussy, sand down the one you have, fair the holes with JB Weld, resand, prime and paint it with silver exterior paint. It won't shine like chrome but it'll look better than it does now.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I would take the pitted chrome bowlight and make a mold from it... then lay up a fiberglass bow light shell inside. Rustoleum makes a good looking chrome paint.

The old bow light would not be damaged in the project.