T-Top Style hardtop

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am planning on building a hardtop for my boat I am working on. It is a dual console Glastron boat. I am thinking of doing something different than the normal. I was thinking of building the frame out of 2x4's cut down to 2x2's. Cut to length to follow the lines of my windshield frame. Drill holes to allow assembly using wood glue and 1/4" bolts. Cut out corner gussets for all angle areas, glue and nail these in place.

Once the frame is assembled, resin and 4oz cloth the entire frame for waterproofing and added strength. The top will be the standard canvas material used on traditional t-tops.

Anyone ever tried this? Thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan on installing a small electronic enclosure for my fish finder/gps and stereo to mount inside of. I do want to add on a few rod holder to the sides and rear of the frame also. The attached photos will give you a better idea of my setup.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is the style i am going after. The black and white pieces in my hands show the lines of the windshield frame. I will also have a support rod following the rear brace on the windshield.

Attachments

• photo234374.png
    photo234374.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo234375.png
    photo234375.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My thoughts on the Glass over 2x2 idea came from trying to save weight and still have a clean look. I'm not a fan of the polished aluminum and steel frames on EVERY boat on the water. I want to paint it white and have a blue fabric top.

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
I wouldn't use wood.It isnt going to have the lateral- structural strength you will need when pounding waves. Probably will look like a" redneck " do it yourself project. There is a reason EVERY boat that has a T-Top / Tower are fabricated from light weight aluminum [ and probably much lighter than your glass on wood idea] . You can have it powdered coated any color you want or even paint it if you do not like the polished look. A local awning company that is looking for business in the winter could probably make one at a very reasonable price and increase your resale value vs a wood unit that will fall apart in time.This is just my opinion which you asked for.

mr 88

Commander
Also bolting the frame to your hull with wood is not going to be easy unless you use aluminum base plates,which bring you back to aluminum. I can also envision some one with a couple beers in them throwing there plus two hundred pound body into the wood frame or grabbing it to keep from falling while hitting some waves and just destroy the whole setup.A sheet of aprox.1/16 -3/32 thick aluminum would also be way to go for your top. A lot more durable than canvas and just as light.That's what I have on the the sunshade structure of my tuna tower.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Agree.. If you want square framing in white, have it fabricated from square aluminum tube and paint it

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tips guys. I found someone to build a frame from aluminum square tubing for about $50. I'll paint it white when finished. Thanks for the input.

roffey

Commander
remember post pictures before, during and after... please and thanks, LOL.

mr 88

Commander
Depending on how much lateral strength you need I would also think about a brace, like you see in most Towers, going from each vertical post to a point towards the center of the boat.A aluminum top would also had some rigidity to the set up vs canvas. For whats its worth I THINK tubular is stronger vs square stock in this application.

Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't feel extra bracing is required. I am basically taking a wakeboard tower frame design and modifying into a shape that will hold a piece of canvas, attached by rope. I don't want a hardtop to create a "kite-like" drag when towing down the highway at 70-75mph.

Also, I don't see how round stock would be stronger than square. Square is used for structural strength daily....trailers etc.

I will post pics once it's build and installed. $50 is about what the labor cost will be. I'll spend about $125-150 on the aluminum.

Last edited:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The wrong photo was posted originally. This is the style I'm going off of

Attachments

• photo234547.jpeg
    photo234547.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Not exactly what you've got in mind, but here's a semi-rigid I built for My fishin' barge a few years ago,....

100_4771.jpg

Another, with the canvas in place,...
100_3925.jpg

Built outa aluminum conduit, hospital bed parts, 'n railroad crossin' barrier parts,....
Dumpster divin', at it's Best,... ;)

Got some cool street light arms I wanta use in the next one,...

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
Usually the canvas top is secured with rope wrapped around the frame and through eyelets. It takes quite a bit of time to undo it along with putting it back. If you leave it up on the road it will be worse off than aluminum [ probable wind damage ] along with the same kite like affect.A sheet of aluminum can be secured and taken down with a few sheet metal screws on each side of the structure. Another thing besides it lasting forever vs canvas is it will not leak,,,ever. The last picture you posted shows a boat with a aluminum top. The bottom of my braces are secured to base plates with a bolt,unscrew four of them and the whole unit ends up in the cockpit for any highway driving. You can do what you want,just suggesting what I think will work better in the long run.Good luck !

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mr. 88 thanks for the advice. I am aware of how they are laced on. My idea tho, I failed to mention, was based on leaving the frame only up during transport. I would like to fit the frame and canvas top with snaps (like on a truck bed cover). Take down during transport and quick install once on the water. I will probably skip the electronic box and mount everything on console.