Drain plug issue...

randomorbital

Recruit
Hi everybody,

I recently bought a small second hand boat and I had a look at the transom.

The drain plug that is currently has is this one:
161322587_screw-type-nylon-drain-plug-for-boats---fits-1-inch-.jpg

The problem is that it is all that is has. On the other side of the transom there is a hole through the transom and nothing else.
I looked on ebay and didn't see any tube you could buy for this setup.

So basically I have this drain plug on the outer side of the transom and a hole with nothing on the inside.

Could anyone let me know if that is how it should be or not?

It is my first time owning a boat and I don't know if it's normal, it seems to be sealed with epoxy but it's an old boat so I was thinking of sealing the hole cavity with some sikaflex ( i have some on hand ).

I would love your input.

Cheers !

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this type of garboard plug does not have a tube. its intended to not loose the plug

I have 2 of them on the back of my wooster hellion. however there is no wood. if you have exposed wood, I would seal it with a thin layer of something

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a transom plug, not intended to be installed in a garboard. Its most commonly used in PWCs, where there is no wood. Its also common to have 2 of them, while "transom Plugs" are usually a centered single.

What kind of boat do you have? Maybe there is no wood, or maybe the PO installed the wrong type, and thus a proper replacement would provide a better seal.

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My drain plug is made out of bronze.have wooden transom and the wood is protected with epoxy.