boat taking on water at launch

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wonder if your boat is a bit water logged? If the boat is heavier due to a leak in the hull and it has soaked up water in the foam.

This why I would want to see pictures of the boat, or at least year and model. If it's a low transom height and has scuppers for draining water in and out I would say it's pretty normal. If it's a high transom and water is coming in then something is not right. It could very well be the boat is carrying some extra weight around.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I think the key here is the "steepness" of the ramp. Is it only at this launch you have a problem?

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
Same thing happens to mine, except the water comes over the inner wall also. Don't like it, but the bilge pump takes care of it.

jsdeano

Recruit
Ok. I believe I now get it. I do agree that it is the angle of the ramp in direct coralation to the angle of my boat. Also I have a very low transom due to the weight of my batteries, oil tank, motor, ice in the live well for the fish and talon 12 ft. power pole all in the back of the boat. I am going to raise the stern and drop the bow on the trailer bunks. I do not like the scupper system because there is not a splashwell on my boat. It is open from back to front. So any and all water that gets into the boat is what you are standing in fishing all day except when under way. If I leave the scuppers open even though I have tried pretty much every type sold, the water comes in while stopped and then you are standing in water again. That is why I plugged them and put a divider in the back. Now when water gets into the back bsically only while launching it gets trapped and drains into the bucket then auto bails. This is now the driest boat I have ever owned now. It just is a bit iffy when you are watching water pour over the transom while launching. I guess If I just dont look back that would solve the problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have seen OB boats without splashwells. One in particular had a cut down transom,. It has maybe 3 inches of freeboard, next to the motor, which was likely an XL model.

An XXL OB would have allowed for a 5" higher transom, but XXL OBs were not manufactured until relatively recently. That boat had a removable bulkhead, gunwale to gunwale, about 12 inches in front of the transom. Likely that served as a splashwell. You might consider something similar.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Consider moving batteries and any other weight you can forward.

Get those scuppers above water and your problem will go away.

niky

Cadet
i think that the first thing you must do at moment of the launch is do not keeping too much weight in the back of your boat , it is the simple thing to do...
if i understood well your boat is heavy astern so i think is better if you distribute the weight in all boat... why do not to put a ballast to bow to distribute better the weight? have you never thought? i hope to have been helpful! i greet all

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If your trailer is not level, the problem will be exacerbated. Lowering your trailer hitch will help a little bit.