Speedometer pitot tubing came off gauge; a lot of water ended up in the bilge

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got one of the common pitot tube speedometers with a pickup mounted to the transom and the gauge on the dash with a plastic tube that runs between the two. Today as I was running down the ICW, I noticed immediately that my speedometer wasn't working. Some time after that I became aware that something was peeing on my foot. I looked down and it appeared to be what I assume is the pitot tubing along with a very small wire clamp hanging down with water gushing in at a steady rate as I continued to cruise.

Is there anything I need to do other than reposition the tube onto the gauge barb and reset the clamp? Do I need to blow compressed air back through the line towards the pickup? I appreciate any comments you might offer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the tube just came off, then yes reinstall it and all is well. However, if the tube had cracked off or broke off, then I would replace the entire tube from pickup to gauge because it is getting rotted and breaking. JMHO!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You don't want water in the tube for a couple reasons - corrosion and freezing

jayhanig

Thanks, guys. I wondered about the water in the tube. I saw one gauge manufacturer who stated their gauge read air pressure with water pressure pushing against the air column. Faria, the brand I have, doesn't say a word about it one way or another so I was conflicted.

The good news is that the tubing popped off the gauge, the water pushed the air out of the tube, and only then did it push its way forward to the helm . No water got into the gauge itself but just drained onto the deck and my shoe. My deck shoes being waterproof, I didn't notice it for a little bit. My sister in law saw the water coming aft and thought I'd had an accident. She was much too polite to draw attention to it until it was obvious no one human being could possibly pee that much.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Thanks, guys. I wondered about the water in the tube. I saw one gauge manufacturer who stated their gauge read air pressure with water pressure pushing against the air column. Faria, the brand I have, doesn't say a word about it one way or another so I was conflicted.

Pressure is pressure, doesn't matter if it is water or air, its all the same. The only reason to blow it out would be for freeze potential, but I personally have never done that when I've had a tube pop off. It will drain out on its own, or the tubing is flexible enough not to burst.

jayhanig

Pressure is pressure, doesn't matter if it is water or air, its all the same.

Air pressure doesn't soak my carpet or fill my bilge, both of which happened yesterday. It was squirting in like a small diameter garden hose. But I take your point.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree that a boat speedometer is merely a pressure gauge. And that pressure gauge doesn't care if it is air, water or any other gas or fluid pressure. However, fluids don't compress and air can be compressed. If you can, simply blow the water back out of the tube and reinstall it again on the gauge. If it comes off again. you could use a little clamp to hold it in place.

I had such a gauge in my bass boat and if I were to run over a floating log (usually in the late evening coming in and not seeing them), my speedometer would still be reading about ~45 MPH at the house. That is when I would take a little drill bit and hand turn it in the pitol tube in the lower center section of the OB. Happen more then you would thing too. JMHO!

jayhanig

This morning I nipped off about 1/4" of the tubing, blew some compressed air through the line gently, then reinserted the tube on the gauge barb. It was very tight so I'm hoping I'm done with it.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That has been happening on my boat for the last 7 years whenever I run it more than 50 mph. I've always just stuck the tube back on the gauge and didn't worry about it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jay, if it fit really tightly, then you shouldn't have any more issues with it. :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My tube popped off too so I blew the water out and put it back on, it was a tight fit but I used a zip tie anyway to make sure. Then it popped off again so I said heck with that I put some bellows adhesive on the barb and pushed it on. Not came off since.