Winter storage of boat

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a bass boat with a 35 HP mercury engine. This is my first boat. So as fall and winter approaches my question is what do I have to do to my engine block to keep from freezing during the winter months or do I have to do anything at all. The boat will be stored either in a non heated garage or non heated storage unit. I live in Northern Virginia the temps can go near zero during the coldest part of the winter.

Any tips for preparing for the winter storage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for helping out a newbie boater.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am by no means an expert, but generally, it is recommended that you run the motor (with muffs and a hose or in a barrel) and disconnect the gas. Just as it starts to sputter as it runs out of fuel, shoot a heavy hit of fogging spray into the carb until the motor kills. If there is gas left in the tank, treat it with a stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam. Pull the spark plugs and again squirt in some fogging spray. I turn the motor over by hand a couple of times. Put the plugs back in. Change the lower unit oil (peace of mind in case water has gotten in) and you should be set. Oh, and remove the battery.

Now please wait for much smarter people to give you more/better advice:)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Pretty much like Drb007 said. I personally don't fog, or run them out of fuel. The fuel has oil in it to begin with, on 2-strokes. And a dry fuel system just don't cut it for me. Anything left is more likely to dry up and mess things up worse. As far as the battery, I make sure it's fully charged, unhooked and left onboard. Haven't had a battery failed in years, unless.... it was on it's way out before winter. Only happens once several years back. Usually start right up.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you've never done it before, just look at some YouTube videos.

Agree with everything said above. I would like to add that after you flush and fog the motor you need to lower the outboard all the way down and keep it that way to ensure all the water drains out of the power head and lower unit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for outboard - I usually just store them vertically. if I intend to store them for more than 6 months, I may fog. I do, however run them out of fuel.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have smaller outboards, 18-20 horse. I unmount them , and have a 50 gallon barrel I hang them on. it doesn't get below freezing where I store them, so I fill the barrel, and will fire them up every few weeks, or if I'm getting antsy for boating season.
otherwise I'll run it gas line unhooked till it dies, choke it and fire it up till it dies again, and keep up till it won't even "pop". then store upright in a dry area. turn over by hand every once in a while.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My winter storage lasts only a few months for my fishing boat with the outboard. Motor fogged and all the way down in vertical position to drain the water. I don't use ethanol fuel so I don;t need to worry about that issue and I don't run the carbs dry either. Good hot charge on the batteries and disconnect the cables.Oh yeah and cover the boat up tight!

Last edited: